|Marley, Stephen / Mind Control|
|Label:||Tuff Gong International|
|Add Date:||2007-04-01||Pull Date:||2007-06-03||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||3 Jun||27 May||20 May||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr|
|1.||Mon, 06 Jan 20:||Shineymic|
Everything (last hour edited for best of show 6-15-20)
|4.||Mon, 29 Feb 16:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|2.||Mon, 14 Oct 19:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Mon, 21 Dec 15:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|3.||Wed, 10 Aug 16:||DJ Laptop|
|6.||Mon, 29 Jul 13:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Marley, Stephen – Mind Control|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/28/07
Roots and dancehall from another of Bob’s kids. Lots of special guests, lots of different sounds. Stephen’s vocals are scarily reminiscent of his father’s, and on the rootsier numbers it’s particularly striking. Many songs are pretty sad and dwell on lost love, but there’s also a few good sociopolitical diatribes.
No FCCs detected. Track 5 is a real standout, track 9 is fun too.
1. ***big, slick roots rock reggae, vocals with effects. Sounds like his dad – backing vocals sound like I-Threes. Obviously, this is far from a bad thing!
2. *slow, one-drop but more dancehall than Reggae. Sweet sufferer song, with pretty rap from Mos Def.
3. interlude, cop with southern accent.
4. ***downtempo rather funky one-drop with strong beat and singing, several guests rapping.
5. ****vocal beatboxing, fun rap, uptempo dancehall riddim.
6. *downbeat, moody intro, rather dancehall, sad and introspective song. Pretty, uncredited female vocals.
7. ***midtempo classic roots rock bubble, nice. Bun di politicians lyrics.
8. ***another midtempo roots bubble, very cool keyboards, bluesy vocals.
9. ****Rather uptempo but relaxed riddim with hints of bellydance riddim and Spanish guitar. Guest rap and female singer.
10. *midtempo shuffle with flutes, guitar interlude. All about fouling up a love affair.
11. **downbeat nyahbinghi drums, sad song about feeling bad and needing a spliff. Bit of children chanting at end.