|Various Artists / Studio One Selector: The Originals|
|Album:||Studio One Selector: The Originals||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||May 2007|
|Label:||Soul Jazz Records|
|Add Date:||2007-05-06||Pull Date:||2007-07-08||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jul 8||Jul 1||Jun 17||Jun 10||Jun 3||May 27||May 20||May 13|
|1.||Jul 07, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Jun 09, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Jul 05, 2007:||Emphysema For Emphasis |
Train To Skaville
|5.||Jun 02, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Jun 12, 2007:||Eclectic Fill-In |
|6.||May 23, 2007:||Sign My Yearbook! |
Simmer Down, Hang On Natty
[coll]: Studio One Selector: The Originals|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/3/07
Wide-ranging collection of early Studio One, from ska to roots rock, instrumentals, songs and toasts. Lots of heavily soul-tinged stuff.
No FCCs detected. Track 6 is great (my ex, a reggae singer, raved about them – now I see why…)
Tracks 2, 3, 4, 8, 14 are instrumentals. 7 and 13 are toasters.
1. 3:36 *midtempo, laid back and groovy, soulful roots bubble.
2. 2:42 **uber-funky slightly uptempo instrumental bounce – think Booker T & the MGs.
3. 2:23 **rather downtempo, very laid back and relaxed instrumental roots skank, minimalist, with cool guitar solo throughout.
4. 3:18 **midtempo roots dub, prominent trumpet, rather unsophisticated use of effects (isn’t that why we love old dub?)
5. 2:47 ***fantastic ska – one of the Wailer’s finest early efforts.
6. 3:24 ****slinky midtempo ska with nice horns and syncopation, and a bit of spy movie feel, vocal unison group. Jungle noises!
7. 3:05 ***uptempo rock steady, great toasting by one of the best of the early toasters. Lone Ranger rocks!
8. 2:43 **starts with train noises and a bit of announcing, then lovely midtempo ska instrumental.
9. 6:15 *downtempo and relaxed soulful skank with a TON of syndrum and pretty falsetto vocal harmonies. Includes the version.
10. 3:21 *slightly uptempo bubble with vocal harmonies and silky tenor lead vocals.
11. 2:14 **uptempo ska, great music and vocals, rather fuzzy recording.
12. 2:31 ***slinky and soulful midtempo tail-feather-shaker. Soul dance vocals, trying SO hard to be James Brown.
13. 4:55 ***uptempo roots skank with lots of syndrum and a great early toaster duo. Strictly for fun. Includes the version.
14. 2:45 **midtempo ska instrumental, great horns (as you’d expect). A bit fuzzy, but killer stuff.
15. 2:54 ***midtempo roots skank, sweet vocals (there’s a reason he got his name!) Only rasta lyrics on the record.