|Shibambo, Baba / African Skin On Skin|
|Album:||African Skin On Skin||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2007-08-05||Pull Date:||2007-10-07||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||7 Oct||30 Sep||16 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug||12 Aug|
|1.||Thu, 26 Oct 17:||Fo|
No Cover, No Minimum
|4.||Fri, 14 May 10:||Fo|
No Cover, No Minimum
|2.||Sat, 21 Nov 15:||Eme O|
|5.||Sat, 14 Mar 09:||Eme O|
|3.||Sat, 04 Dec 10:||Eme O|
|6.||Sat, 24 Jan 09:||Eme O|
Baba Shibambo – African Skin on Skin|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/13/07
Drum and percussion from South Africa. Two instrumentals, other songs in South African languages and English. All singing and instruments by Baba Shibambo, except for bass guitar. Apart from drums, there’s kalimba and marimba in most songs, and two numbers featuring the African Berimao.
No FCCs – the Berimbao numbers (7 and 10) are my faves.
1. **drums and kalimba. Spoken intro (over music) in English, song in an African language. Midtempo, somehow relaxed and energetic at once.
2. **downtempo and very relaxed, mostly kalimba and some percussion, lovely vocals (apparently a lament) partially in English.
3. **marimba instrumental – a bit uptempo, with drums.
4. ***bass and drums, vocals in African and English, sort of latent power…
5. **mellow and downbeat drums and kalimba, with a bit of rain sound from shakers.
6. **rather uptempo, vocals in English, mostly repeating title.
7. ****very cool sound, using the African Berimbao.
8. ***swingy midtempo groove
9. **all drums and chanting, a bit uptempo and bouncy.
10. ****more amazing sound from the Berimbao, rather subtle and subdued, but very cool. Instrumental, just Berimbao and shakers, and an odd whooping sound which I think is the “udu” - whatever that is!
11. **midtempo drums, vocals mostly in English, bit of actual drum solo.
|1.||Come Back, Come Back||6.||remember june 16, 1976|
|2.||King Shibambo||7.||Manqhoba Is Coming|
|3.||Marimba Instrumental||8.||Going Home|
|4.||Samora Machele/Stebe Bantu Biko||9.||Uyexa Umanghoba|
|5.||The Drum Legend||10.||Bushmen Lament|
|11.||African Skin On Skin|