INSIDE/OUTSIDE JAZZ – Very fine San Diego-based trio with an interesting style that mixes thoughtful straight-jazz themes with some highly creative improvisation. Good for the more reflective moments of avant shows or the more adventurous moments of normal-jazz sets.
1. 5:57 – upbeat, stepping-stone theme, slightly lumpy piano, solos for all.
2. 6:47 – moody jazz theme, clattery free improvisation, then theme refracted
3. 5:43 – pensive ballad, crazy brushed drums underneath, second half swells
4. 10:32 – improvisational bass/drum intro; delicate, meandering piano; then tinkly piano & vibraphone against slow, deep bass. Intriguing stuff!
5. 9:34 – straight modern-jazz sound, propulsive yet gentle, buoyantly lyrical
6. 10:21 – starts as improv w/prepared piano(?), skittery and unsettling; then a sweeping jazzy rush followed by various creepy atmospheres.
7. 4:53 – similar to track 5, with a bit more punch and in half the time
8. 4:13 – agitated, with little scrambles & curlicues in a grandiose setting
9. 5:25 – relaxed and (pleasantly) moody, nice playing from all