|Various Artists / Messthetics #103 D.I.Y. And (Very) Indie Post-Punk From The Midlands '77-81, Par|
|Album:||Messthetics #103 D.I.Y. And (Very) Indie Post-Punk From The Midlands '77-81, Par||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Hyped 2 Death|
|Add Date:||2007-07-01||Pull Date:||2007-09-02|
|Week Ending:||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug||12 Aug||5 Aug||29 Jul||22 Jul||15 Jul|
|1.||Mar 23, 2009:||PACC Appreciation Show |
|4.||Oct 09, 2007:||A2Z |
|2.||May 01, 2008:||A2Z |
|5.||Sep 01, 2007:||Cognitive Overload |
|3.||Dec 11, 2007:||A2Z |
|6.||Aug 29, 2007:||The Adventurer's Choice ill-prepared episode |
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Holy Crap! Yet another amazing compilation of lost DIY/indie gems ca. 1977-1981. This time from UK’s poor midlands, land of the Swell Maps. Plagued by the popularity of heavy metal and devoid of any pressing plants, these proto-indie artists remained in obscurity. Brilliant lofi gems with a range of influences from no wave saxophones and dub-y guitars to indie pop synths and middle eastern strings. Plus songs by the Swell Maps and the Prefects. FCC CLEAN!|
play NOISE: 15, 7, 10 POP: 5, 20, 9, 6, 13 DUB: 19, 22 PUNK: 2, 1, 4, 14 WORLD (NOVELTY): 17 PSYCH: 18
1. Balls-out revolting punker
2. Great punker by the Prefects.
3. This by the Swell Maps. Need I say more?
4. Sounds like the Ex.
5. Swinging/sassy Holly Golightly-ish retro pop tune. Sweet.
6. Gentle indie rocker.
7. Crazy ass Velvet Underground-ish psychedelic tune with free jazzy sax.
8. Amateurish solo guit punker (no drums)
9. Dance-y. Guitar groove. Pop.
10. Sax! Laura Logic/X-Ray Spex.
11. Infectiously catchy guitar grooves.
12. Link Wray’s Batman… turned into Brit punker.
13. Great/great melodies. Astonishingly good.
14. Wire-sque punker with dominant bass lines.
15. Awesome uber noisy/experimental no wave. James Chance meets Sonic Youth.
16. Psych tune with heavily overdriven/distorto guits.
17. Spoken word rant w/ acoustic middle eastern strings. Very cool!
18. Starts with a remake of Vanilla Fudge’s You Keep Me Hanging On. Heavy psych-punk.
19. Epic DUB rocker. The Clash meets Gang of Four. Great climax.
20. Synth –driven indie pop. Female vox. Sweet.
21. Bouncy punker with comical lyricals.
22. Funk bass/guitar. Mid tempo psych.