|Super Tough / Dance, Worm!|
|Label:||Actual American Records|
|Add Date:||2007-07-08||Pull Date:||2007-09-09||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug||12 Aug||5 Aug||29 Jul||22 Jul||15 Jul|
|1.||Apr 19, 2009:||The Twilight Zone |
|4.||May 03, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
|2.||Jan 18, 2009:||The Twilight Zone |
|5.||Mar 25, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
|3.||May 10, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
|6.||Feb 18, 2008:||Happy Hour - President's Day Special |
Super Tough – Dance, Worm!|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/3/07
Local roots reggae and dub with a variety of Bay Area reggae vocalists. Lots of covers of rather unexpected songs, fine production, a few pointed political jabs. Really good stuff – nothing that stands out as better than the rest and nothing that isn’t eminently worth playing…
No FCCs detected. It’s all good.
1. United 3:58 ***uptempo roots skank, with horns and admonishments.
2. Fly Me To the Moon 4:16 **midtempo swingy skank, fun cover of lounge classic. Nice rock steady bass, sax.
3. Man of Constant Sorrow 4:08 ***rather uptempo rock steady skank, fuzz guitar. Cover of traditional number popularized by Rod Stewart.
4. See Emily Play 4:04 ***somewhat uptempo bubble with appropriate bits of psychedelia, cover of one of Pink Floyd’s most bearable songs.
5. Worl of Love 3:50 ***starts with a bit of preaching, then midtempo skank, very rootsy. Pretty singing and toasting.
6. D.I.V.O.R.C.E. 3:40 **rock steady cover of the Tammy Wynette country classic. Female vocals.
7. Rocks to Riches 4:10 **midtempo roots rock, stoned rasta vocals, dubby.
8. Cool Water 4:35 **starts with almost 20 seconds of drips and almost silence. Then rasta preaching. Then midtempo roots bubble, cover of another country classic. Mostly falsetto vocals. Definitely odd and fun, but you’ll want to start it after the drips..
9. Rear Naked Choke 2:56 **midtempo rocker with guitar, organ.
10. Rocks Dub 3:15 ***dub of track 7. Heavily dubbed vocals.
11. Fly Dub 3:37 ***dub of track 2, with fun anti-Bush toast.
12. Man Dub 3:32 ***dub of track 3.
13. Choke Dub 2:57 ***dub of track 9, lots of great noises.
14. Pie Hi 3:48 ****starts with a particularly obnoxious Bush quote, then very quiet bass line. Finally turns into midtempo dub with lots of added noises, more Bush quotes.
15. bonus track 1:37 - starts with a few seconds of pretty much silence, then inane Bush interview bit, then very quiet electronics fading to silence.
|2.||Fly Me To The Moon||9.||Rear Naked Choke|
|3.||Man Of Constant Sorrow||10.||Rocks Dub|
|4.||See Emily Play||11.||Fly Dub|
|5.||Worl Of Love||12.||Man Dub|
|7.||Rocks To Riches||14.||Pie High|