|Battles / Mirrored|
|Add Date:||2007-08-05||Pull Date:||2007-10-07|
|Week Ending:||7 Oct||30 Sep||23 Sep||16 Sep||9 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug|
|1.||Oct 24, 2014:||A Visit From Drum |
|4.||May 12, 2012:||The Mongrel's Stoop |
|2.||Jun 16, 2012:||The Mongrel's Stoop |
|5.||Apr 14, 2012:||The Mongrel's Stoop |
|3.||May 15, 2012:||overtones |
|6.||Mar 07, 2012:||The Fall of Math |
BATTLES - Mirrored CD (Warp) |
Modern day, prog rock. I say prog rock instead of math rock because this rarely rocks but there the structures are complicated and the drumming amazing but the guitar plays a lesser roll and keyboards are more prominent. There is no shortage of krautrock experimentation and dare I say some tracks are even glammy and/or dancy. They have added a vocalist but I don't think I even noticed until halfway though the record. I've heard about this band for a couple years but never heard them and I was still somewhat surprised by this album, which is a good thing. Think bands like UPSILON ACRUX or HELLA with keyboards and not as heavy or hell even YES. The band contains former members of HELMET, TOMAHAWK, DON CABALLERO, and LYNC. The singer is ANTHONY BRAXTON'S son.
**1. Honest this reminds me of YES. The track begins with a subtle and mellow groove and builds. Vocals sings sounds and not words and the keyboard runs are what remind me of YES. Upbeat.
2. Huh? T.REX rhythm anyone? Funny effected vocals. I'm going to get silly with this description. T.REX wrestling with YES and the munchkins win.
3. Short, dramatic and operatic.
4. Quiet guitar beginning that builds. Nice guitar/drum interaction and odd vocals. Lots of noodling from the guitar and bass and a nice interaction between them.
5. Another short track. Simple with a big bass sound.
**6. More discordant and patient. Keyboards and guitars play together during small runs. And yes, more YES sounds. There is a very quiet section in the middle.
7. Quiet pulse.
8. Quiet groove to begin which eventually changes into upbeat math rock. Lots of keyboards. Manipulated (sampled?) vocals. Ends uncomfortably.
9. Looped pulsating electronics. Eventually everyone joins in. Borders on rocking at a couple points. A bit silly.
**11. Darker sounding electronics at the beginning. Nice guitar riff.
Good stuff. -mph
|4.||Tonton D'america||9.||Snare Hangar|