|Lone Ranger / On The Other Side Of Dub|
|Album:||On The Other Side Of Dub||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Lone Ranger||Added:||Jul 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-07-29||Pull Date:||2007-09-30||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Sep 30||Sep 23||Sep 16||Aug 26||Aug 19||Aug 12||Aug 5|
|1.||Nov 23, 2014:||the springfield law review |
Where Eagles Dwell
|4.||May 30, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Sep 15, 2013:||New World Disorder |
Keep On Coming A The Dance
|5.||Dec 23, 2008:||Negro Thump Music |
|3.||Mar 31, 2012:||New World Disorder |
Keep On Coming A The Dance
|6.||Feb 08, 2008:||6ft underground |
Lone Ranger – On the Other Side of Dub|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/19/07
Hits and dubs from one of the original “toasters” from Jamaica. Distinctive and fun rap style, and an important progenitor of Rub-a-Dub, which itself led to Dancehall. Some of the versions are a bit murky in terms of production, but maybe that’s just to help you feel stoned… The first 9 tracks are toasts with Ranger’s distinctive vocals, and the last 8 tracks are the dubs of the first 8 tracks, in order. The one in the middle - track 9 – includes a bit of its own dub, so it’s nice and symmetrical… Liner notes have good bio information on Lone Ranger. The only flaw in this is that it’s missing my favorite of his songs – and probably his biggest hit – Rosemarie, but we have that elsewhere.
No FCCs detected. I like tracks 4, 8, 9, and the dub on track 13. It’s all great, though!
1. **midtempo shuffling skank with biblical toasting
2. **midtempo bubble with horns, fun rap about failed dentistry.
3. **downtempo and rather murky bubble, classic toast that rambles through any number of aphorisms.
4. ****upbeat skank, great boopy sound, huge hit for good reason.
5. ***midtempo bouncy skank, Rasta pride rap.
6. **midtempo bubble, two raps in unison.
7. **somewhat downtempo memorial to Bob. Bits of Marley’s lyrics, but mostly Ranger extemporizing on the subject.
8. ****midtempo skank with lots of bass and a bit of farfisa, huge hit with lyrics about the vampire from Dark Shadows. Pretty definitive of Ranger’s goofy style, and an early example of Rub-A-Dub.
9. ****rather downtempo but very swingy riddim, custom-made for Jamaican dance parties – a truly amazing form of entertainment. Includes a dub section.
10. **midtempo dub skank – dub of track one.
11. **midtempo dub of track 2
12. **downtempo dub of track 3
13. ****uptempo dub of track 4 (great riddim even without toasting) – VERY dubby.
14. ***midtempo dub of track 5 – another fine riddim.
15. **dub of track 6, bits of unintelligible vocals.
16. **dub of track 7, same spoken intro, bits of the toast left in.
17. ***dub of track 8, lots of keyboards.