|Slow Poisoner, The / Roadside Altar|
|Artist:||Slow Poisoner, The||Added:||07/2007|
|Add Date:||2007-07-29||Pull Date:||2007-09-30|
|Week Ending:||30 Sep||16 Sep||19 Aug||12 Aug||5 Aug|
|1.||Tue, 12 Apr 11:||Red West|
|4.||Sat, 15 Sep 07:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|2.||Sat, 29 Sep 07:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Thu, 13 Sep 07:||Sadie O.|
Disorder in the Afternoon
|3.||Tue, 25 Sep 07:||Sadie O.|
New World Lost and Found
|6.||Thu, 16 Aug 07:||Ragnar of Ravensfjord|
At Your Local Dive (Bloodstains & Beer On The Floor)
The Slow Poisoner – Roadside Altar|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/26/07
Local minimalist roots strangeness. Many songs consist of little but solo acoustic guitar and kick drum and reedy vocals. A lot of the lyrics sound like they should have a Cramps-style delivery, and the rather thin quavery vocals simply add to the general feeling of creepy snaggle-toothed backwoodness. A little less dangerously insane than Hasil Adkins, a bit darker and less electrified than the Legendary Stardust Cowboy.
No FCCs detected. I like 2, 5, 7, and 10 best.
1. 3:38 **jangly guitars, midtempo rather jaunty beat, voodoo lyrics. I could see Webb Wilder doing this…
2. 2:18 ***channeling Hasil Adkins – just thrashing guitar and minimal drums – and great lyrics about “now that your head is gone, run rooster run”… ha ha!
3. 3:33 **bongos and truly weird lyrics. There’s a tiny tinge of Danzig in the bassline, somehow…
4. 2:59 *solo fingerpicking and howling country blues (Jimmie Rodgers cover).
5. 2:19 ***Bo Diddley beat with marimba, terrific lyrics about a lousy place to live.
6. 2:35 *bongos and strummed guitar, old-timey country song, but with a bit of reverb on the vocals. Great Sons of the Pioneers-style chorus.
7. 3:00 ***twangy solo electric guitar, insane lyrics, yay!
8. 3:13 acoustic guitar and a bit of piano, a bit of “Mother Nature’s Son”.
9. 2:30 *midtempo 4/4 strumming, howled cover of Bob Wills’ classic. More marimbas, definitely a different take.
10. 4:20 ***guitar, tom and tambourine, midtempo and very weird lyrics. The bongos do make it just a touch odder… Everything about this gets stranger as it goes along.
|1.||The Hex||6.||The Colorado Trail|
|2.||Run Rooster Run||7.||Flaming Creatures (Of Rock And Roll)|
|3.||The Eye Hand Of The Carolinas||8.||Here Come The Horses|
|4.||T.B. Blues||9.||Faded Love|
|5.||Bad Bungalow||10.||Roadside Altar|