|Gaudi & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan / Dub Qawwali|
|Artist:||Gaudi & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan||Added:||07/2007|
|Add Date:||2007-08-12||Pull Date:||2007-10-14||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||14 Oct||30 Sep||16 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug|
|1.||Mon, 21 Dec 15:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Thu, 03 Jan 13:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|2.||Mon, 11 Nov 13:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|5.||Thu, 30 Aug 12:||David Bug|
In Your Ear | Global Radio | Nancy Davenport
|3.||Mon, 29 Jul 13:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|6.||Fri, 17 Aug 12:||David Bug|
In Your Ear | Global Radio
Gaudi & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan – Dub Qawwali|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/7/07
Gorgeous selection of Qawwalis by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, set to dub Reggae music to make the 10th anniversary of his death. Gaudi is a British dub producer, and done both a sensitive and a musically interesting job of it. You can get all kinds of spiritual listening to this, or just relax, or get your skank on – it’s all good.
No English lyrics (FCCs? As if!) – all pretty similar in quality and feel, but I have a compulsion for assigning stars. I like the last two tracks best, apparently.
1. ***ethereal electronics intro, downtempo and relaxed beat, dubby sitar bits. Downtempo reggae bubble starts after a minute or so, very relaxing and lovely.
2. **tabla intro, midtempo Reggae skank on piano and drums, song is lovely rather than ecstatic.
3. **ecstatic vocals and ethereal electronics, then quite an uptempo dub skank. Interesting and effective combination.
4. **droning keyboards (very familiar riff), midtempo dub skank, trance-y chant. Ends with 20 seconds of water dripping.
5. ***downtempo nyahbinghi bubble. Very lovely and devotional, but you can dance to it.
6. **mournful violin and downtempo roots skank, contemplative song that works perfectly with them.
7. **solo vocal intro, midtempo and upbeat skank, simple chant.
8. ***vocal and electronic drone intro, midtempo bubble fades in gradually. Dubby - interesting noises and beats, and lovely singing.
9. ****very theatrical violins, then tabla and midtempo bubble, sweet song. Nice beat, nice combo of south Asian and Reggae elements.
10. ****upbeat dub skank and song – you can sing praises to your favorite entity, or you can dance to this.