|Various Artists / Yuria|
|Add Date:||2007-08-05||Pull Date:||2007-10-07|
|Week Ending:||9 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug||12 Aug|
|1.||Wed, 05 Sep 07:||watsupman|
Adv Choice Last Show Summer
|4.||Wed, 22 Aug 07:||Elias (Dr Furious)|
Dig this folks: Dr Furious
|2.||Wed, 29 Aug 07:||watsupman|
The Adventurer's Choice ill-prepared episode
|5.||Tue, 21 Aug 07:||Edwin|
Lost and Found
|3.||Mon, 27 Aug 07:||Gears|
|6.||Mon, 20 Aug 07:||Gears|
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Ever wondered what the Greek experimental/underground scene sounds like today? “Pretty fucking amazing”, i would say. And here lays the evidence! An excellent compilation, live recording of an experimental/underground festival organized by the Vinyl Microstore (a tiny record shop in Athens, Greece) in honor of its pet dog, Yuri. Various influences borrowed from stylistically diverse genres blend in highly creative and original compositions. Lots of instrumental tracks here (think great soundbeds) as well as live tracks by KZSU A-filers, Dread Astaire and the Callas, and a promising new band called Victory Collapse and a great ballad by Betty’s Bath (track9). If you read the Wire magazine, this collection will remind you of its Tapper compilations. Quite honestly, a true window into the renaissance of the Greek underground ca. 2007. Enjoy the view! |
Play: 10, 11, 15, 5, 1, 12 and vocal tracks 9, 2, 13
1. Xenakis type of noise leads to cinematic, down-tempo and sparse instrumental drone. Think Múm.
2. KZSU familiars (Dread Astaire). Fuzz-bass assault to the max and psychedelic guitar freak-outs.
3. Silly acoustic ballad for Vinyl Microstore’s pet dog, Yuri.
4. Sparse experimental electronica with tweaked vocal effects.
5. Atonal no-wave moog-sounding chords in chaotic electro and drum effects. Chaotic, intense, unresolving.
6. KZSU familiars (the Callas). Lo-fi garage indie-pop.
7. This is a blank track. Dead air. No sound. Cleverly given an imaginary title by an imaginary band with an imaginary website.
8. Quiet and hauntingly cinematic. Great for spooky soundbeds (6 min).
9. Dark and melodic ballad. This is great! Reminds of Nick Cave.
10. Great experimental tune. Bag-pipe sounds and other flickering electro effects and haunting voices.
11. Crazy ass tune! This is great. Vocal imitations of hip-hop beatboxes and turnatbables driving rhythmically some crazy instrumentation (melodica, strings)
12. Instrumental. Somber and cinematic. Pretty and emotional.
13. Post-punk tune of early 90s flavor. Victory Collapse’s a great band. Remind me of Candy Machine (Dischord band from Baltimore)
14. Instrumental emoting shoegaze. Addictive and repetitive.
15. Sonically chaotic. Feels like a moving train with flickering voices and noise effects. Cool.