|Shapes And Sizes / (Splitting Lips, Winning Hips, A Shiner)|
|Album:||(Splitting Lips, Winning Hips, A Shiner)||Collection:||Out for Review|
|Artist:||Shapes And Sizes||Added:||08/2007|
|Label:||Asthmatic Kitty Records|
|Add Date:||2007-08-26||Pull Date:||2007-10-28|
|Week Ending:||9 Sep||2 Sep|
|1.||Nov 08, 2013:||Fight or Flight |
|4.||Apr 01, 2008:||I once was Canadian |
|2.||Oct 04, 2013:||Fight or Flight |
|5.||Sep 05, 2007:||Where the Girls Are |
|3.||Jul 01, 2008:||I once was Canadian |
|6.||Aug 30, 2007:||Fiction Romance |
Shapes and Sizes - Split Lips, Winning Hips, a Shiner|
Melodic mathy indie pop. Both male and female lead vocals. Not lo-fi but a bit sloppy/ messy at time. On Sufjan's label but that can be misleading. Overall: fun stuff.
My picks: 1, 2, 5, 12 FCC: 9
1. med-fast mathy rhythm. f vox A bit of a wild feel with subdued sections interspersed (warning: subdued sections also include f vocals squeeking sounds).
2. med-slow fun and messy guitar. m lead vox. nice reverby clapping section.
3. f vocals over sparse instrumentation. full instrumentation comes in after a minute
4. plunky banjo, f vox with brass. cut up vocals in the latter part of the song.
5. med-fast strummed guitar with heavier and sustained guitar underneath. interesting percussion. end suddenly and a few seconds early.
6. short. f vocals with clarinet and other woodwinds.
7. sort of like #1. rhythmic med-fast jaunty rhythm. prolonged not-as-rhythmic period in the middle
8. rhythmic guitars, m vox. noisy section in the middle, then chunky guitars with many vocals.
9. FCC. f vox over sparse instrumentation
10. saxophone, other reeds. f vox. dark. thudding drums.
11. short. f vox over single guitar.
12. rumbling med-tempo drums. f+m vox. brass-winds. nice chorus. slow section in the middle.
13. f vocals. prominent bass. guitars are all over the place in this song.
14. slow. tender glockenspiel/ bells. f vox.