|Various Artists / Digitaldubs Apresenta: Brasil Riddims|
|Album:||Digitaldubs Apresenta: Brasil Riddims||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2007-09-16||Pull Date:||2007-11-18||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||11 Nov||4 Nov||28 Oct||21 Oct||14 Oct||30 Sep||23 Sep|
|1.||Apr 14, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Oct 21, 2007:||new world disorder |
|2.||Nov 04, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Oct 14, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Oct 28, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Oct 12, 2007:||sammy franco orangeasm |
Digitaldubs Apresenta: Brasil Riddims (Reggae da Raiz ate as Folhas)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/11/07
Brazil’s premier Reggae band/soundsystem with a selection of Brazilian dancehall vocalists. Riddims tend to be heavy on the percussion/drum ‘n’ bass and minimalist otherwise.
FCCs? I dunno – all in Brazilian Portuguese. I like it all, esp. track 11 and 15.
1. 4:19 *hi-hat intro, midtempo minimalist skank with occasional electronic slide. Gruff dancehall vocals. Electronics outro.
2. 3:55 *same riddim as track 1, singer is apparently Brasil’s first Reggae star.
3. 4:12 *midtempo drum ‘n’ bass dancehall, fast rap. Track runs right into next one.
4. 3:54 **same riddim as track 3 – gruff rap. Guy is obviously having fun – he keeps laughing during the song.
5. 4:47 *long intro, downtempo dubby skank, monotonal dancehall vocals.
6. 4:32 ***same riddim as track 5 – cool riddim and pleasant vocals. Gets VERY dubby.
7. 3:47 **complex hand percussion, just a hint of Baile Funk.
8. 3:20 ***same riddim as track 7, singing in unison and rap – nice vocal sound, with a few goofy bits.
9. 3:26 ***same riddim as track 7, with the happy laughing guy from track 4.
10. 3:50 **same riddim as track 7, with quite a bit of lyricless but nice (almost African-sounding) singing.
11. 4:13 ****very slow dubby skank with Motown-soul singing. Sweet!
12. 4:13 ***midtempo minimalist dancehall with rather crazed vocals.
13. 3:10 **same riddim as 13, very similar vocals.
14. 4:09 ***bouncy and bongy midtempo riddim, very pleasant dancehall vocals.
15. 5:02 ****echoes and yells intro, then uptempo riddim, sort of Nyahbinghi with a touch of soca and a lot of dub… very cool!