|Gladiators, The / Studio One Singles|
|Add Date:||2007-10-28|| ||Pull Date:||2007-12-30|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||4 Nov|
The Gladiators – Studio One Singles|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/24/07
Collection of singles and the dubs/versions from one of Reggae’s most popular groups in the 70’s. You can really see their development if you listen straight through (it’s chronological, from 1969 to 1978) – they grow up with their hit “Bongo Red” and get better from there. Early versions and dubs are also a bit flat. Tracks 20 and 23 are the 12” versions, and include the version.
No FCCs detected, although I suspect track 1 is slightly rude… Track 19 is particularly fun, everything with 3 stars is worth a listen.
1. 2:57 *a bit uptempo, very bouncy rock steady, simple harmonies, nice bass.
2. 2:55 *downtempo early skank with reedy organ and very simple instrumentation – primitive but loveable.
3. 2:50 **version of track 2 with added hand drums, syncopated and fun.
4. 2:39 *downtempo dub, very minimalist. You can hear the original vocals way off in the distance – it’s kind of strange…
5. 2:40 *the version of track 4 – not much different from the dub, really. Instrumental. The drummer rides the hi-hat for all it’s worth.
6. 3:07 **midtempo skank with twangy guitar; lead vocalist is definitely maturing. Rasta lyrics.
7. 3:03 *version of track 6, vocals come in and out, twangy guitar stays.
8. 2:51 *midtempo rock steady, kind of loping, odd lyrics.
9. 2:55 *version of track 8 with a few of the vocals left in.
10. 2:48 ***rather uptempo early Reggae, odd mix of the vocals but much more mature sounding than previous tracks, esp. the lyrics.
11. 2:47 **dub of track 10, fun stuttering guitar at the front of mix. Still not much in the way of effects, some vocals left in.
12. 3:28 **slow lover’s rock, harmonies have gotten really nice; some falsetto vocals. Apparently in praise of the beauty of his dreadlocks…
13. 3:00 *midtempo skank, music cuts out altogether in favor of vocals early in song, after that straight instrumental.
14. 2:57 **downtempo skank, strong Rasta lyrics.
15. 2:44 ***energetic, bouncy midtempo skank. Strong lyrics (including JFK quote)
16. 3:43 **uptempo bubble with percussion. Vocals a bit back in the mix, but nice. Nursery rhyme lyrics – but this was a major hit.
17. 3:41 *version of track 16
18. 3:06 ***unusual midtempo syncopated bubble, very odd lyrics.
19. 3:05 ****dub of track 18 – much more pronounced dub effects than the previous dubs.
20. 5:57 ***strong, slightly downtempo skank, impassioned love gone wrong song. Includes the version.
21. 3:58 ***uptempo, rather funky strut. Grab a Red Stripe in each fist and skank to this.
22. 3:36 **dub of track 21 – seems to be mostly bass and tamborine.
23. 7:50 **rather uptempo skank with lots of Rasta fervor. 12” -0 includes lots of dub and syndrum. LOTS of syndrum.