|Dead Sea Scribes / Arise|
|Artist:||Dead Sea Scribes||Added:||11/2007|
|Add Date:||2007-12-02||Pull Date:||2008-02-03||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||27 Jan||6 Jan||23 Dec||16 Dec|
|1.||Jan 26, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Dec 16, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Jan 24, 2008:||Happy Hour |
|5.||Dec 09, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Might As Well Quit
|3.||Dec 30, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Might As Well Quit
Dead Sea Scribes – Arise|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/27/07
Local Hip Hop set to Reggae beat. All songs are very downtempo, and I like the music. The lyrics are often quite good, although sometimes a bit college-age, and the delivery seems a bit stilted and adenoidal, but they do seem to have promise. Unfortunately, I was deeply frustrated by the occasional FCCs that make most songs unplayable outside of Safe Harbor – don’t people know we can’t do that on the radio? Sheesh. I really had to debate whether to add this one, but there are some decent songs, and they are local, so…
FCCs on most songs. Best clean songs are 5, 9 and 10.
1. 1:12 minimalist drumming, chanting, and statement of purpose.
2. 4:32 FCC: “what the fuck” *somewhat downtempo and relaxed skank with two hip hop vocals.
3. 5:04 FCC: “motherfuckin” **downtempo simple but effective skank.
4. 4:16 **downtempo bubble, anti-war message. Includes recording of Ghandi speaking.
5. 4:37 FCC: “shit” **downtempo skank, simple sound, lots of talk.
6. 4:25 ***midtempo skank with “heavy metal” guitar – nice sound.
7. 4:37 **interesting low guitar sound, very downtempo and downbeat.
8. 5:30 FCC: “fuckin” **ethereal female vocals and solo guitar, then another downtempo skank, sort of Haight-Asbury… Only vocals for quite a bit late in the song.
9. 5:07 ***echo-y violin and a bit of effects, very slow, plodding, but interesting. Bit of cello and female vocals at end.
10. 4:51 ***acoustic guitar, nice shuffling beat. Some cool instrument sounds, some rather nasal vocals at end.
11. 4:00 FCCs: “don’t get pissed” “shit” “fuckin” *kinda trance-y and syncopated. Would be good if they didn’t have such potty mouths…
12. 5:15 FCC: “shit” *starts with a bit of preaching. Pretty skank.
13. 4:01 FCC: “fuckin” X 2 ****cool bouncy skank with hand drums and bass up front. It makes me FURIOUS that they spoiled so many songs with single gratuitous FCCs…
14. 4:19 FCC: “shit” “what the fuck” ***marching riddim, shout out to the Bay Area.
|3.||Running On Razors||10.||Brother|
|4.||Eye For An Eye||11.||Manifesto|
|5.||Push Comes To Shove||12.||Power And Poise|
|6.||Might As Well Quit||13.||Sons Of Viet Nam|