|Various Artists / Bougouni Yaalali|
|Label:||Yaala Yaala Records|
|Add Date:||2008-01-06||Pull Date:||2008-03-10||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||24 Feb||27 Jan||13 Jan|
|1.||Feb 18, 2008:||Emphysema For Emphasis |
|4.||Jan 09, 2008:||Baptism of Solitude |
|2.||Jan 25, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|5.||Jan 08, 2008:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|3.||Jan 11, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum (sub) |
Recorded live in 1999 and 2000 in Bougouni and Bamako, Mali. Includes house parties, soundtracks to checkers games, village celebrations, etc. Field recordings complete with background conversation and incidental noise. Fascinating indigenous music, completely unpolished and raw. Sound quality varies.|
*1. Upbeat claps/chants w/kind of loudspeaker noise. Drums.
2. Upbeat bounce w/perc, shakers, male vox. Too short.
*3. Tinny cymbals, perc, male vox. Upbeat, driving, increasing tempo.
4. Upbeat balafon(?), scratchy vocals, distorted sound.
*5. Call/response vocals, upbeat metallic perc.
6. Fuzzy perc, upbeat vocals, driving.
*7. Starts quiet, slow. Then upbeat w/cool nasally vocals/perc.
8. Fast perc, spoken word, crowd noise. Drums get going. Very “live”
9. Insect noise, cars driving by, no music, just field recording.