|Album:||Stories Before Within||Collection:||Jazz|
|Artist:||Hwang, Jason Kao/Edge||Added:||Jan 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-03-09||Pull Date:||2008-05-11||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||May 4||Apr 6||Mar 23||Mar 16|
|1.||Oct 19, 2017:||No Cover, No Minimum
|4.||May 02, 2008:||Music to Make Babies To, with Beatbeat Whisper
From East Sixth Street
|2.||Jun 18, 2016:||Music Casserole
|5.||Apr 04, 2008:||Memory Select
|3.||May 02, 2008:||Memory Select
|6.||Apr 04, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum
Top-notch avant-garde jazz with lots of originality: violin/cornet/bass/ drums. Designed as narratives, these challenging pieces nicely balance long improvisational stretches with episodic themes and interludes that give them a logical, directional feel. Everybody sounds good, but bassist Ken Filiano is really prominent and does some fabulous stuff.
All tracks excellent. Try any.
1. 10:33 – layered tick-tock themes & dramatic collisions separate solos; very cool improv dialogues between bass and other instruments.
2. 06:58 – chewy, swaggering bassline; off-kilter groove breaks down into chaos, slow sawing, busy clatter, then reconstitutes itself.
3. 10:22 – superb interaction: alternates a slow walk with a quiet, oozing creep; also noisy in places, and everybody gets a great solo.
4. 09:17 – Korean-style melody (also on Hwang’s “Local Lingo” CD) changes to a low tense groove, then some really spacious drum & bass solos
5. 14:05 – achingly slow melody adds one instrument at a time, gives way to angular jazz ballad; rhapsodic bowed bass solo, mysterious close
[ Fo ] 9-Mar-08
|1.||Cloud Call||3.||Walking Pictures|
|2.||From East Sixth Street||4.||Third Sight|