|Evangelista / Hello, Voyager|
|Add Date:||2008-04-20|| ||Pull Date:||2008-06-22|| |
|Week Ending:||15 Jun||8 Jun||1 Jun||25 May||18 May||11 May||4 May||27 Apr|
Evangelista –Hello, Voyager (Constellation Records)|
Punky, bluesy noise rock mixed with a rainbow swirl of other stuff. I saw these guys live and they wrecked the mother. Emphasis on female vox (Carla Bozulich), which wanders between rock, jazz, insane moaning, happy pop, blues, etc. Angular guitar, sweet/menacing strings, organ, freaky noise (which is very well done…doesn’t saturate the mix and lets you hear the pieces), more. Very eclectic mix with some good moments. Picks: #6, 1, 8, 4, 5 FCC #8, 9
1) 4:06 - moody + badass. Bluesy, distorted, bare vox dominates. Some droning bass and scattered noises + percussion. Screeches of electric guitar. Intense…busy while minimalist.
2) 2:29 – loud, dissonant rock. militant beat. Random disconnected screams. Cool.
3) 3:27 –bluesy vox. Starts quiet. relatively straightforward. A little jazzy. Guitar squawk punctuation marks. Sly and cool.
4) 2:48 –quiet, sinister chamber string music. Pensive cello. Some viola + contrebasse + violins. Very pretty + dark.
5) 4:53 –delicate [pop?]. harmonium, gentle gitter picking + strums. strings swell here and there. nice.
6) 2:26 – RAD. Starts with quiet noise that slowly crescendos before BANG. Loud, upbeat, fast rock. Sci-fi punk. “Epic”(yeah, I hate that word too, but it is apt, so don’t hold it against me or the song, dig?). the balls are on the wall.
7) 6:28 -noise track. Lots of empty space between the monsters in the dark. bass guitar growling noise. Moaning/shrieking layered vox. Slightly terrifying.
8) 5:14 –depressing/cool pop meditation. Organ. Strings. FCC S*** @4:31
9) 12:31–kinda rad. Busy minimalist doom. starts with random percussive hits + lone trumpet. Seems random, but slowly takes form when a few wayward guitar strums enter. Sci-fi military shouting lyrics. Longgggg + manifesto-ish. Spooky shrillness. FCC F***ED (Fuck, I kinda liked this one…)