|Strangers Die Every Day / Aperture For Departure|
|Album:||Aperture For Departure||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Strangers Die Every Day||Added:||03/2008|
|Label:||This Generation Tapes|
|Add Date:||2008-06-22||Pull Date:||2008-08-24|
|Week Ending:||17 Aug||20 Jul||13 Jul||29 Jun|
|1.||Wed, 29 Apr 09:||Brick|
|4.||Wed, 09 Jul 08:||Your Imaginary Friend|
|2.||Sun, 10 Aug 08:||Mr. Sparkle/The Dead KennyGs|
Mmmmm...Tastes Like Candy
|5.||Fri, 27 Jun 08:||Red West|
Dreamtime, or Burrito
|3.||Sun, 13 Jul 08:||Mr. Sparkle & the Dead Kenny-G|
Mmm... Tastes Like Candy...
Strangers Die Every Day "Aperture For Departure" – Soundscape post rock with some classical elements and a touch of indie rock. Wow!! Beautiful mixing of violin, cello, and possibly some other strings with electric bass and drums. Lush arrangements that are full of emotion. All instrumental songs. For fans of Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Hangedup, etc. Highly recommended!!|
My Picks: 1, 6, 8
Katie P. 6/17/08
1) Slowly fades in with plodding ominous guitar. Violin and cello come in and then a slow midtempo drumbeat. Slowly builds and builds tension until a release halfway through. Nice play between the deliberate steady beat and the meandering strings. Don’t be fooled by the false ending with a minute left, it continues to the end.
2) Quiet string plucking and low bass beats. Opens up into a hopeful, expansive mood. Again, fun play between the percussive sounding metronome quality and broad string strokes. Kind of breaks down about half through and turns into more of a light indie rock sound with guitar and drums a bit out front.
3) Starts with lonely violin solo, the other strings slowly join filling out the sound. Slow and full of melancholy.
4) Cute quick plucks of violin soon joined by cello bowing. Slower midtempo waltz feel. Drums are added giving it a more rock feel.
5) Violin and cello blending together very nicely. Short piece, no drums or bass. Beautiful.
6) Slow plodding metronome beat. Slow and sad strings on top that builds fast once drums are added. Turns into a solid midtempo post rock song with soaring violin and cello on top.
7) Sharp violin and cello. Short piece.
8) Moody and quiet to start. Drums and bass create the backbone of the midtempo rock sound. Violin and cello enhance the moodiness and create tension. Builds to the middle and then gets a little spacey. Wow!
9) Playful violin and cello. Has an odd feeling of urgency and agitation. Short piece.
10) Starts with cello and violin adding layers, then drums come in with a solid midtempo beat. Builds and urgently presses ahead.
11) Steady driving faster midtempo beat. Slows about halfway through and becomes a bit of a slow quiet march.
|1.||...And The Blood Shall Spill||6.||Esther|
|2.||Aperture For Departure||7.||Charcoal #2|
|3.||Slow Bike||8.||Safer In The Ground|