Stunning, hypnotic sounds from the borderline between modern jazz and minimalism. The quintet is super-tight: each track is given space to develop slowly and quietly (the ECM sound is unmistakable), gradually pulling you in. Just wonderful, works with jazz/classical/new music.
All tracks amazing. Fo’s faves: 2, 4
1. 6:28 – gentle undulation, icy middle section with distant clarinet
2. 14:51 – quiet minimalist patterns evolve gradually; jazz rhythm kicks in after 5 minutes, then there’s a little more urgency & volume. Nicely busy by the 9-minute mark, great piano solo over the churning rhythm.
3. 8:00 – tiny eddies in a stream, kicks into funky gear, dense pattern near end
4. 7:16 – really pretty pattern, churns gently; turns more jazzy midway through
5. 9:41 – prominent electric bass; gradually morphs into a middle eastern wail
6. 9:23 – quiet bells, moody patterns; exotic & dreamlike, then busts out.