|Newpoli / Newpoli|
|Add Date:||2008-05-26||Pull Date:||2008-07-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||13 Jul||15 Jun||8 Jun||1 Jun|
|1.||Jul 08, 2008:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|4.||May 31, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Jun 10, 2008:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|5.||May 27, 2008:||nag champa orangeasm |
|3.||Jun 03, 2008:||Sub for Cafe Bohemian! |
Sia Maledetta L'acqua
Newpoli – Newpoli|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/14/08
Neopolitan folk roots played (with gusto) by Jazz musicians. Vocals are particularly fine, ranging from simply beautiful to highly expressive. Songs are from the middle ages onward. Lyrics all in Neopolitan Italian, but the booklet tells their stories. Interesting stuff, extremely well done. No FCCs detected.
1. **handdrum intro, gradually building instruments into a somewhat uptempo tarantella with call and response vocals. Nice hand drum duet mid-song.
2. *downtempo, mellow serenade, lovely vocals, guitar and rain sounds.
3. ***many time changes and some very medieval harmonies. Interesting stuff.
4. *shuffling handdrum and solo vocal intro, downtempo 6/8 dance, again with many changes of pace.
5. *sweet and slow vocal and guitar. Apparently a pointed political parody from the 17th century, but who can tell?
6. **hand percussion and vocal interplay, music builds gradually.
7. **sweet medieval song about losing virginity…
8. *swingy syncopation, relaxed and pretty. Chorus sounds very much like the sort of Italian numbers popular here in the 60’s.
9. *downbeat accordion intro, instrumental tarantella gradually increasing in instrumentation and energy.
10. **rather somber sounding minor key chant, downtempo, changing time signatures.
11. ***very light uptempo and upbeat story-telling song (all about thwarted fish love). Fun vocal stylings, bouncy beat with flutes and guitar.
12. **sweet midtempo tarantella comparing the sting of love with the bite of the spider. Interesting bit of vocal interplay with only handdrum backing in second half. Long fade with cheering outro.
|1.||Pizzica||7.||Sia Maledetta L'acqua|
|4.||Lo Jucu De La Palummella||10.||'e Spingule Francese|
|5.||La Serpe A Carolina||11.||'o Guarracino|
|6.||Tammuriata Nera||12.||Tarantella Del Gargano|