|Add Date:||2009-02-14||Pull Date:||2009-04-18||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Apr 19||Apr 12||Apr 5||Mar 15||Mar 8||Mar 1||Feb 22|
|1.||May 06, 2009:||KZSU's Heartbleeps
|4.||Apr 04, 2009:||New World Disorder
|2.||Apr 14, 2009:||At the Cafe Bohemian
|5.||Mar 11, 2009:||The Heart of KZSU
|3.||Apr 11, 2009:||New World Disorder
|6.||Mar 07, 2009:||New World Disorder
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/13/09
Very traditional Turkish music, mostly strings with some flutes, and a couple of songs with very lovely vocals. Most tracks have a very mournful or wistful tone, which it turns out is fitting. Very skilled musicianship (almost all from the trio) with interplay and extemporizing, rather like Turkish chamber music. Scholarly liner notes. Turks tend to use a lot of traditional elements in all sorts of popular music, but this is the pure stuff. Mostly has an “Eastern” tinge to it – it’s Anatolian rather than European.
No FCCs. All are quite beautiful; I like 1, 4, 14 and 15 best.
1. ***downtempo strummed instruments with a strong (non-drum) beat, fat bottom end.
2. *solo bowed instrument, high tone, subdued strumming.
3. **pretty, low register plucked instrument, lots of embellishment, not much other instrumentation for first minute. Peaceful and mellow.
4. ***solo plucked instrument with overtones
5. **midtempo, upbeat, several instruments with the feel of a line dance.
6. *rather mournful and mysterious horns, then a variety of very slow strings and flutes, no beat.
7. **midtempo, complex interplay of strings, subdued and sweet, but builds.
8. **strummed instruments and flutes – and vocal duet! Gosh!
9. *minimalist plucked instrument solo.
10. **plucked instruments in unison, slow.
11. **strummed and plucked instruments, sort of a fugue, rather upbeat – a slow line dance, perhaps.
12. *complex strings, high and low – sometimes in unison, sometimes something else.
13. **startlingly jaunty sounding, if downtempo, strings, very folky – Eastern European in feel, as opposed to the more Asian feel of most tracks.
14. ***solo plucked instrument, very pretty and mournful sounding male vocals (female joins after a bit).
15. ***midtempo and lively interplay of several strings.
|1.||Yagcilar Zeybegi||8.||Cikayim Gideyim U'rumeli'ne|
|2.||Hicazkar Sirto||9.||Huseyni Taksim|
|3.||Rast Taksim And Rast Zeybek||10.||Koyde Sabah|
|4.||Nihavend Taksim||11.||Balikesir Keybegi|
|5.||Nihavend Sirto||12.||Harmandali Zeybegi|
|6.||Hicaz Taksim And Naz Bari||13.||Kordon Keybegi|