|Isaacs, Gregory / Winner, The|
|Add Date:||2008-05-26||Pull Date:||2008-07-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||27 Jul||20 Jul||6 Jul||29 Jun||15 Jun||8 Jun||1 Jun|
|1.||Aug 15, 2012:||brownian entropy |
Don't Let Me Suffer
|4.||Dec 17, 2011:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Mar 31, 2012:||New World Disorder |
Dance With Me
|5.||Jul 16, 2011:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Mar 17, 2012:||New World Disorder |
Dance With Me
|6.||Feb 19, 2011:||New World Disorder |
Dance With Me
Gregory Isaacs – The Winner|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/22/08
Extensive compilation of very early songs by Reggae’s greatest singer. (Note the absence of a qualifier such as “arguably” in that sentence.) Songs cover the period from very late ska through rock steady and lover’s rock to roots rock reggae. Music gets much better and Isaacs’ vocals smoother over the course of the comp. Warning: many of the vocal tracks can dissolve undergarments at a range of 50 yards or more!
No FCCs detected. The concept of “not very good Gregory Isaacs song” is an oxymoron; all tracks are good or great.
1. 2:46 **uptempo ska with what sounds like a ukulele, slow sweet singing.
2. 3:35 ***classic rock steady riddim; vocal group. Tasty stuff.
3. 2:03 **quite uptempo rock steady, vocal group. Buttoo?
4. 2:47 **downtempo shuffle with farfisa.
5. 2:29 **quite downtempo lover’s rock, unity lyrics. Gregory’s voice is particularly sweet.
6. 2:23 **uptempo rock steady with rather stoned sounding backing vocals, rather harsh not-in-love song.
7. 2:23 **midtempo, rather faint rock steady riddim. Upful song.
8. 2:34 ***midtempo lover’s rock skank, knicker-melting vocals.
9. 2:50 ***midtempo lover’s rock, lower but still seductive vocals.
10. 2:52 **rather inept midtempo riddim, but more fine vocals – this more a love song to Jah.
11. 2:23 **midtempo lover’s rock with farfisa, really telling some chick off.
12. 2:58 ***very faint bassline intro, then midtempo bubble with some odd keyboard sounds, another broken hearted love song.
13. 3:19 **downtempo syncopated skank, classic lover’s rock, guaranteed seduction aid.
14. 2:53 ***downtempo lover’s rock with googly guitar – I wonder how many girls got pregnant behind the speakers at the sound system dance to this one…
15. 2:49 **midtempo bubble, stealing someone’s girlfriend vocals.
16. 3:00 **very downtempo bubble, sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom (it’s entirely possible), social trouble lyrics.
17. 3:04 ***quirky downtempo lover’s rock skank with strong bass, diatribe lyrics.
18. 3:00 ***midtempo bubble, sweet vocals about helping each other.
19. 2:57 ***bouncy midtempo skank, Rasta lyrics.
20. 2:50 ***midtempo skank, nice vocal harmonies, Mama Africa lyrics.
21. 3:34 **alternate take of a big early Isaacs hit – the riddim is great but it’s a bit too much in the front of the mix and his vocals a bit back. Too bad – it’s a classic.
22. 4:04 ***very downtempo syncopated skank, nyahbinghi version of another major hit. This one leaves his vocals up front!
23. 3:52 ***midtempo skank, huge hit, bit of extra keyboards and syncopation added.
24. 6:00 ***downtempo skank with vibraslap, sad song of poverty. Includes the dub.
|1.||Another Heartbreak||13.||Something Nice|
|2.||Don't Let Me Suffer||14.||Dance With Me|
|3.||Buttoo||15.||Don't Believe In Him|
|4.||Too Late||16.||Village Of The Underprivileged|
|5.||Grow Closer Together||17.||Sinner Man|
|6.||Set Back||18.||Give A Hand|
|7.||While There Is Life||19.||Help Us Get Over|
|8.||Be Careful||20.||Beautiful Africa|
|11.||No Forgiveness||23.||The Winner|
|12.||Lonely Days||24.||Motherless Child|