|Doucet, Michael / From Now On|
|Album:||From Now On||Collection:||Blues|
|Artist:||Doucet, Michael||Added:||May 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-06-08||Pull Date:||2008-08-10||Charts:||Blues|
|Week Ending:||Jun 29||Jun 22||Jun 15|
|1.||Jun 27, 2008:||The Rent Party |
Reels De Mamou
|3.||Jun 12, 2008:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
L'amour Ou La Folie
|2.||Jun 17, 2008:||Deep Fried And Sanctified |
A Closer Walk With Thee/I Know
Michael Doucet/From Now On/Smthsonian Folkways/2008|
Cajun and creole music that has one foot firmly planted in the past with the other jauntily heading to the future. Terrific musicianship and gorgeous song choices. Most are instrumentals. Andrea favorites are: 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 15, 17, 18
1) 5:52 Mid, creole interpretation of Toussaint’s song. I like the arrangement of the music, but the vocals aren’t for me.
2) 2:40 Up Instr. two-step inspired by Leo Soileau and Mayeuse Lafleur.
3) 3:50 Mid Instr.Fontenot cover, gorgeous and somehow the vocals manage to sound like a bee, bzzz.
4) 4:42 Mid, originally a Cuban tune, it became a New Orleans second line song. Great guitarwork.
5) 3:03 Uptempo twin fiddles, sweet song about home and love.
6) 4:22 Slow and gorgeous beautiful version of a Closer Walk combined with great funky secular version called I Know.
7) 5:36 Uptempo Instr. assemblage of reels, lots of fun and great simple fiddle that sounds like 10 fiddles.
8) 2:30 Uptempo Instr. twin fiddle from Doucet’s band BeauSoleil.
9) 4:35 Midtempo Instr. bluesy first take jam, yes!
10) 2:17 Uptempo Instr. unusual in that Doucet plays the accordian, fascinating.
11) 2:17 Uptempo Instr. Hints of French quadrilles, lovely and complex.
12) 2:08 Uptempo Instr. It’s all about the roux baby, the roux, more twin fiddle.
13) 3:04 Slow and changes tempo mid-song for a little “let’s f__k with the dancers” cadenza. Instr., bluesy as all heck, a great cover the Hoagy Carmichael song.
14) 2:53 Uptempo Instr. Two-step in memory of Wade Fruge. Lots of fun.
15) 2:52 midtempo Cajun version of a Swedish folk song. Charming and lush. Garbo with gumbo.
16) 3:49 Uptempo Instr., like the name implies, it is a happy one-step,
17) 2:26 Uptemp Instr. On the Octave violin, lovely tones and a great song.
18) 5:39 Slow bluesy as hell cover that builds a bit and digs way down deep into the swamp and comes up Creole soulful.
19) 3:16 Slow haunting version of this gospel song, love it. Plus Doucet is only on guitar.