|Green, Al / Lay It Down|
|Album:||Lay It Down||Collection:||Out for Review|
|Artist:||Green, Al||Added:||Jun 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-06-15||Pull Date:||2008-08-17|
|Week Ending:||Jul 27||Jul 20||Jul 6||Jun 29||Jun 22|
|1.||Aug 06, 2015:||Clean Copper Radio |
Stay With Me (By The Sea)
|4.||Jul 23, 2008:||Eran Mukamel (menarche in the UK) |
What More Do You Want From Me
|2.||Mar 17, 2009:||Time Traveler (Singing 'O The Green) |
Take Your Time
|5.||Jul 22, 2008:||I once was Canadian |
Lay It Down
|3.||Jul 24, 2008:||Undrinkably Bad Oddities |
Lay It Down
|6.||Jul 20, 2008:||Mmm...Tastes Like Candy! |
Take Your Time
Al Green "Lay It Down" – Beautiful sweet soul music. This is the 3rd secular album from Rev. Al Green with Blue Note and it is great! You can definitely hear the old-school soul sounds, but it’s been updated a bit for a more modern soul feel. It was co-produced by ?uestlove (from the Roots), who also plays drums on here, and features members of the Dap-Kings on horns and a few other instruments (see Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings). The whole album generally has a very quiet and intimate sound, which works well with the love song theme. The string arrangements, horns, and the rest of the band all blend so naturally together giving it an effortless feel. Highly recommended!!|
My Picks: 1, 4, 6, 10
Katie P. 6/2/08
1) Slow swaying soul. Starts with quiet bass, guitar, and stripped-down hi-hat. Adds vocals along with full strings, horns, and organ. Slowly builds. Sexy. Both Al Green and Anthony Hamilton on vocals.
2) Slow midtempo with bright fun horns. Modern soul feel, but the kind with a full band (no casio keyboards). Al Green’s trademark falsetto vocals. Lighthearted, sweet, and playful.
3) Harder, funkier bass and drums. Lush string arrangements. Both All Green and Anthony Hamilton on vocals. Solid midtempo modern soul with a funky beat and smooth jazzy guitar.
4) Slower midtempo with a solid beat. Sweet happy love song. Guitar, organ, and horns blend so well together making the whole thing sound effortless.
5) Laidback groove is a bit heavier on the bass and drums. Pleading yet hopeful. Nice organ and horns.
6) Slow old-school soul ballad sound. Beautiful lush string arrangements with both male and female vocals (Corinne Bailey Rae with Al Green). Grab someone special and dance.
7) Dragging slow midtempo. Falsetto vocals with piano and string section. Quiet and a little sad.
8) Laidback slower midtempo. Starts with “la-la-la” backup vocals. Both Al Green and John Legend on vocals. Sad and pleading.
9) Laidback midtempo with full string section and horns along with guitars, drums, and bass. Sweet and lovely. About half through it hits a funkier bridge section. Really nice.
10) Lowdown faster midtempo groove with a heavier bass and drum beat. Harder horns gives it a funkier feel. Playful, fun, and sexy.
11) Steady walking uptempo beat. Fun and a little bouncy. Tight horns. Builds to the end.
|1.||Lay It Down||6.||Take Your Time|
|2.||Just For Me||7.||Too Much|
|3.||You've Got The Love I Need||8.||Stay With Me (By The Sea)|
|4.||No One Like You||9.||All I Need|
|5.||What More Do You Want From Me||10.||I'm Wild About You|
|11.||Standing In The Rain|