|Shot X Shot / Let Nature Square|
|Album:||Let Nature Square||Collection:||Jazz|
|Artist:||Shot X Shot||Added:||06/2008|
|Label:||High Two Recordings|
|Add Date:||2008-07-20||Pull Date:||2008-09-21||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||21 Sep||24 Aug||17 Aug||10 Aug||27 Jul|
|1.||Sep 19, 2008:||Memory Select, early edition |
|4.||Aug 08, 2008:||Oatmeal |
|2.||Aug 22, 2008:||Memory Select |
|5.||Jul 22, 2008:||Deep Fried and Sanctified |
|3.||Aug 15, 2008:||Memory Select |
SHOT x SHOT: Let Nature Square |
High Two, 2008
AVANT-GARDE – The second CD (first studio album) by this quartet out of Philadelphia balances “nonlinear” compositional structures with a harmonious style of improvisation that’s plenty adventurous but rarely feels harsh or random. The band has a very organic sound, drifting naturally between moods and energy levels. It’s quite good.
Fo’s Picks: All tracks worthwhile.
1. 12:28 – claustrophobic patterns melt down to casual improv; gets antsy again around the middle, then more urgent before a soft landing.
2. 4:01 – straightforward: low cinematic tension, scatters in the center
3. 9:59 – gentle layers, gradually shifting moiré patterns; a cool sound
4. 13:52 – lopsided tune lumbers along, sometimes with insistent rhythm; each band member gets to make an extended statement.
5. 10:28 – loose beginning, then more spacious; surges at the midpoint, falls back to loose & casual again; strong pattern at end
[ Fo ] 20-Jul-08
|2.||Triple Double||4.||Oh No|