|Various Artists / Classic African American Gospel|
|Album:||Classic African American Gospel||Collection:||Blues|
|Add Date:||2008-06-29||Pull Date:||2008-08-31||Charts:||Blues|
|Week Ending:||24 Aug||3 Aug||27 Jul||20 Jul||13 Jul||6 Jul|
|1.||Tue, 19 Aug 08:||Todd AO|
|4.||Wed, 23 Jul 08:||Joey|
A Fine Assortment of Select Blood Diseases
|2.||Wed, 30 Jul 08:||Soy Ricardo|
Emphysema For Emphasis
|5.||Sat, 19 Jul 08:||Soy Ricardo|
Emphysema For Emphasis - Maurizio Bianchi Special Continued
|3.||Tue, 29 Jul 08:||Andrea L|
Deep Fried and Sanctified
|6.||Wed, 16 Jul 08:||Soy Ricardo|
Emphysema For Emphasis
Collection/Classic African American Gospel/Smithsonian Folkways/2008|
Amazing collection gospel from the post WWII era right up into the 21st century. A great variety of the types of groups who sing this music are represented including shouters, a cappella, harmonizers, choirs and soloists. Amazing that Smithsonian pulled this all together and managed to make a cohesive mix of the contemporary and the classic.
Andrea’s favorites: 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, and 24.
1) 4:20 Slow a cappella just a man with a hell of a voice, like dirt and sweat on a tire.
2) 2:22 Mid a cappella harmonizing vocals.
3) 3:46 Mid contemporary gospel.
4) 2:32 Slow choral spiritual by the group that exemplifies this style the best.
5) 2:19 Mid piano blues gospel, lots of fun. Close to secular.
6) 2:00 Mid harmonizing in a do-wop style and indeed one of the members of this group joined the Drifters shortly after recording this. Great vibrato vocals at the end.
7) 4:56 Slow call and response with preacher and congregation, super soulful…like a bowl of light served up hot.
8) 5:28 Mid great a cappella classic from an unidentified group…love this.
9) 3:15 Up do-wop style Pentecostal gospel from Michigan.
10) 2:50 Mid gospel nola jazz trumpet, the trumpet makes it dance with the devil.
11) 2:23 Up call & response Sonny Terry solo with harmonica and foot tappin’.
12) 2:45 Up classic cover holy ghost singing, classic example.
13) 1:12 Mid starts with preaching and then call and response with the Singing Evangelist.
14) 4:47 Slow Pentecostal moanin’, the whole church is getting into the middle.
15) 4:43 Mid First time Davis recorded this song. He influenced everyone from Jorma Kaukonen to Jerry Garcia. Check out the fingerpickin’.
16) 2:15 Slow and dark, this spiritual goes to that amazingly dark place within our souls.
17) 2:21 Mid this one is HOT, this guy was amazing, discovered by Mahalia and then worked with Alvin Ailey to create the amazing Revelations, this is urban gospel at its best.
18) 1:30 Mid this lady is the best traditional folk gospel practitioner and this is a classic example.
19) 5:49 Slow contemporary gospel.
20) 1:24 Up holiness church music, heck yeah.
21) 3:01 Mid civil rights version of this classic that’s packing an emotional punch. Fannie Lou Hamer WAS the civil rights and people made her pay for it…she’s the real deal.
22) 3:04 Slow and gorgeous island spiritual.
23) 3:23 Mid to up medley that Leadbelly associated with various denominations..fun!
24) 3:18 mid Superb and sexy contemporary trombone shout!