|Stott, Jef / Saracen|
|Label:||Six Degrees Records|
|Add Date:||2008-07-13||Pull Date:||2008-09-14||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||14 Sep||7 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug||10 Aug||3 Aug||27 Jul||20 Jul|
|1.||Fri, 26 Dec 08:||Sadie O.|
Post Holiday Traumatic Stress Disorder
|4.||Thu, 11 Sep 08:||J.C.|
An Epiphany Of Sound - Library Science (LIVE)
|2.||Sat, 25 Oct 08:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Sat, 06 Sep 08:||Edwin|
Lost and Found
|3.||Sat, 13 Sep 08:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|6.||Thu, 28 Aug 08:||c jones|
press and release
Jef Stott – Saracen|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/1/08
Middle Eastern meets electronica in dub. Local artist and guests. Mostly very moody and dark and mysterious, in a good way. Pieces go through a lot of changes and involve a lot of musical elements. Compares very favorably to Cheb-I-Sabbah. Everything is gorgeous and involves interesting combinations. Excellent!
FCCs – nothing in English, doubtful anyway. I like 5 and 6 best.
1. ***strong midtempo electronic dance beat that turns into belly dance beat with the addition of hand drums. Low register instrumentation, great sound.
2. ***random Arabic vocals and percussion, a bit of downtempo groove, then midtempo traditional sound with a reggae back beat.
3. *glitch intro, then very dark chords. Dance beat, but very somber feel.
4. **DARK chord, and very odd, breathy flute. Unique, warbly but low vocals.
5. ****uptempo oud and handdrums, funky electronics, guest vocals by MC Rai. Killer stuff!
6. ****electronics, a bit of darkness and menace, then seriously funky beat (and darkness and menace.)
7. ***electronic drones, percussion slowly added in, midtempo belly dance beat, continuing to… evolve. More vocals by MC Rai – really quite gorgeous. LONG fade.
8. **extremely soft electronic intro, then louder but still rather formless for first minute. Swingy syncopated beat, lyricless vocals. Adds elements and gets prettier as it goes along.
9. **fairly dramatic intro, electronic squeepy beat, very “jungle” with just overlaid elements of Arabic instrumentation.
10. ***soft and somber intro, then bits of instruments and vocals cobbled together, dub beat and production. Very subdued, but very cool. Long fade.
|1.||Lamaset (Miami Mix)||6.||Faqir|
|2.||Sono (Album Version)||7.||Axis (Evolve)|
|4.||Saracen (Eye Of Horus Vocal Mix)||9.||Blissm'lah (Darbuka Re-Mix)|
|5.||Medina Stepper||10.||Aegean Dub|