|Various Artists / Global Rhythm: July 2008|
|Album:||Global Rhythm: July 2008||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2008-08-10||Pull Date:||2008-10-12||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||12 Oct||5 Oct||21 Sep||14 Sep||7 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug|
|1.||Mon, 02 Jul 18:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Mon, 09 Aug 10:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|2.||Mon, 04 Aug 14:||Don Farrell|
|5.||Thu, 09 Oct 08:||Sunshine|
Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
|3.||Thu, 24 Nov 11:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|6.||Tue, 30 Sep 08:||Andrea L|
Deep Fried And Sanctified
Global Rhythm: July 2008|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/5/08
This month’s selection focuses on Reggae, at least for the first 9 tracks. No FCCs detected; I like 1, 5 and 9 best.
1. ***slow horn intro, then midtempo forceful march/skank with Lee Scratch Perry and Sherwood’s daughter trading animal noises.
2. **swingy roots skank, breathy female vocals, nyahbinghi drum.
3. **slow, forceful, keyboard-driven dub, attractive male vocals. Goes completely dubby, like nitrous oxide…
4. **energetic live rock skank, Franti’s hip hop poetry vocals.
5. ***midtempo swingy bossa-jazz, with female chorus, vocals by Brazilian Reggae’s biggest star. Great bass and percussion.
6. *midtempo roots skank with dub elements, electronics, pleasant male vocals, bits of psychedelia.
7. *roots skank, surfer-reggae. Musically solid, interesting tuba (?).
8. **slow swingy electric skank.
9. ***upbeat funky Latin dancehall from Venezuela.
10. **berembau and hand percussion, call and response vocals, from Brazil.
11. breathy female vocals, drums and chimes, acoustic guitar. Female singer-songwriter.
12. Jazzy, downbeat, female vocals.
13. **marching drums, jazz bass, complex percussion, African rhythms, aggressive female vocals. Builds, with electric guitars.
14. *pretty, relaxed yet celebratory jazzy African pop, female vocals.