Collection/Doom & Gloom: Early Songs of Angst and Disaster 1927-1945/Trikont/2007
A group of blues, country, folk songs and ballad relating tales of woe as the result of the age of technology. The sound quality on this is excellent! The years covered here saw disaster upon disaster strike the world in a way that had not been seen before and this compliation makes no bones about the similarities to our time. All tracks are great. Nice touch, the liner notes give the years that all of the artists passed adding another final note of angst to this already wrist slitting complication. Andrea’s Favorites: 6, 8-11, 13-15, 18, 19, and 24
1) 3:00 Mid walking early acoustic blues, gravelly and honest
2) 2:47 Mid crooning country Nashville style death ballad
3) 3:10 Up/mid banjo country bluegrass tale of fire
4) 3:17 Slow bluesy tale of flood and woe hitting the impoverished
5) 2:53 Up Country pickin’ duet
6) 2:57 Up bluesy folksy whimsical duet great track
7) 2:53 Mid country duet with mandolin and guitar tale
8) 3:00 Mid excellent rural/mountain music
9) 3:15 Mid blues from the mother of the blues, a great track
10) 3:07 Up sweet old blues some great tremolo and fantastic guitar work
11) 3:04 Mid mountain music from the original Carter Family trio, beautiful. Classic and gorgeous
12) 2:47 Mid country ballad about the Titanic
13) 3:15 Up great blue with Joe and the great Memphis Minnie (his wife) on guitars
14) 3:16 Mid mountain ballad with just vocals and fiddle
15) 2:55 Up raw blues from the great, gravelly waitsian vocals…..and lots of thump
16) 3:14 Up country tremolo vocals grizzly tale
17) 2:44 Mid country from the famous skillet lickers
18) 3:06 Slow and sweet urban steel guitar blues
19) 2:35 Mid great jug band blues, kazoo-errific. The only mildly happy song on the album
20) 3:46 Mid folk blues freaky tremolo vocals.
21) 2:59 Mid pretty country vocals.
22) 2:59 Mid country tune with fiddle mimicking the train quite nicely.
23) 3:12 Mid country tune about a cyclone
24) 3:17 Mid GREAT blues classic.