|Marling, Laura / Cannot Swim|
|Add Date:||2008-10-05||Pull Date:||2008-12-07|
|Week Ending:||23 Nov||16 Nov||9 Nov||26 Oct||19 Oct||12 Oct|
|1.||Nov 01, 2013:||FOLKTRONICA |
My Manic And I
|4.||Mar 15, 2011:||&tc. (sub for Indie English) |
|2.||Jan 25, 2013:||FOLKTRONICA |
|5.||Apr 28, 2010:||Lyric Ballads/Spider Rave |
|3.||Sep 07, 2012:||The Peninsula Report |
|6.||Mar 03, 2010:||Pudenda Agenda |
Marling, Laura /Alas I Cannot Swim/EMI/ 2008|
18 year old Laura Marling from England has quickly launched herself onto the British folk pop scene. A self-taught guitarist who was clearly born to do this, she easily sounds as though she’s lived a lifetime in both her lyrics and production. She has a twist on the jazz folk singer songwriter of Joni Mitchell, taking complex arrangements and making them seem effortless. Outstanding album. All tracks are great.
Andrea’s picks: 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, Reviewed by Andrea.
1) 3:01 Mid, folk simple melody with nice touches beautifully produced folk pop.
2) 2:59 Slow song that makes the most of her husky lush vocals. Ends with rustling
3) 2:48 Slow gorgeous strings that match the vocals a pretty ballad that builds in a complex and gutsy way ends with giggling.
4) 3:21 Slow pretty guitars, vocals and a delightful piano that takes the role almost of a percussive staircase joining the elements of the song together.
5) 2:28 Up pretty pop song with her characteristic fascinating lyrics.
6) 2:24 Mid, darkly poppy concoction…mystically twisted. She could be slipping you a mickey whilst stroking your thigh.
7) 1:16 Slow starts acappella and builds like a rock opera.
8) 3:56 Up gorgeous tale of the crazy and befriending yours. Ends with background bar sounds that bleed to the next track.
9) 3:09 Slow stunning vocals that describe the terror dream with those twisted strings and the ominous toms. More scraping into next track.
10) 3:10 Up music with slow folk tale lyrics and vocals. “The wind and I we speak the same…” productions values are crazy solid.
11) 2:39 Slow starts with her solid guitar work, straight ahead…ends with birdsong that bleeds to next track.
12) 7:19 Slow tale of the late night free spirit that will not be caged…like the birds….an anthem leaning deeply to the Joni. Ends halfway in and then birdsong for over a minute, then a cute 2 minute and 12 second title track…Alas I cannot swim.
|1.||Ghosts||7.||Crawled Out Of The Sea (Interlude)|
|2.||Old Stone||8.||My Manic And I|
|3.||Tap At My Window||9.||Night Terror|
|4.||Failure||10.||The Captain And The Hourglass|
|5.||You're No God||11.||Shine|
|6.||Cross Your Fingers||12.||Your Only Doll (Dora)|