|Bley, Carla Big Band / Appearing Nightly|
|Artist:||Bley, Carla Big Band||Added:||09/2008|
|Label:||Ecm Records (Jazz)|
|Add Date:||2008-09-28||Pull Date:||2008-11-30||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||30 Nov||16 Nov||9 Nov||2 Nov||5 Oct|
|1.||Feb 21, 2014:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|4.||Nov 25, 2008:||The Rent Party |
|2.||Sep 13, 2013:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|5.||Nov 14, 2008:||Memory Select |
|3.||Dec 02, 2011:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|6.||Nov 07, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum |
CARLA BLEY BIG BAND: Appearing Nightly |
MODERN BIG BAND – Quirky as ever, pianist Carla Bley presents a program of upbeat original music that pays tribute to the nightclubs and jazz bands of the 1950s. The pieces -- sparkling arrangements sprinkled with references to old standards -- were recorded live in Paris. Track 3 was originally a commission for the Monterey Jazz Festival.
Fo’s Picks: 1, 2, 4 ... but I love ‘em all.
1. 8:49 [warning: 10 seconds of silence at start] – easygoing, slouching tune: bluesy sax solo, tipsy trombone, a friendly feel overall.
2. 6:11 – peppy, swinging theme, goofy “rooster crow” riff pops up repeatedly: churning sax solos, percolating trumpet, great fun in the middle
3. 25:23 – big, bouncing piece inspired by Bley’s brief stint as a lounge pianist at age 17. She only had a few tunes in her repertoire then, and all of them are in here if you listen closely… nifty horn arrangements and long, spirited solos; turns bluesy, slower & more intimate in 2nd half.
4. 5:56 – bright and perky: contrasts merry tenor sax with more heartfelt alto
5. 7:38 – relaxed stroll into gliding ballroom feel, just slightly off-kilter, big finish
[ Fo ] 28-Sep-08
|1.||Greasy Gravy||3.||Appearing Nightly At The Black Orchid|
|2.||Awful Coffee||4.||Someone To Watch|
|5.||I Hadn't Anyone 'til You|