|Franti, Michael & Spearhead / All Rebel Rockers|
|Album:||All Rebel Rockers||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Franti, Michael & Spearhead||Added:||09/2008|
|Label:||Boo Boo Wax|
|Add Date:||2008-09-07||Pull Date:||2008-11-09||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||9 Nov||2 Nov||26 Oct||19 Oct||12 Oct||28 Sep||21 Sep||14 Sep|
|1.||Tue, 21 Nov 17:||DJ Michelle|
|4.||Thu, 20 Mar 14:||Sunshine|
Sunshine on a Springtime Afternoon
|2.||Mon, 10 Apr 17:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Thu, 27 Feb 14:||Sunshine|
Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
|3.||Mon, 04 Jan 16:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|6.||Tue, 10 Dec 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
Michael Franti & Spearhead – All Rebel Rockers|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/4/08
Reggae/hard rock/folky stuff, political/love/party lyrics – what you expect from Michael Franti, produced by Sly & Robbie. Typically diverse sound, so different people will find different numbers more to their tastes.
Possible single FCC on track 5. I like 2, 8, 10 best.
1. 4:21 ***classic slow dubby skank, vocal harmonies, thick sound. Long fade.
2. 4:19 ****uptempo and upbeat one-drop, political lyrics. Additional female dancehall vocals.
3. 3:54 **downtempo skank, Franti’s gruff chanting. Reality lyrics.
4. 4:17 ***swingy hard rock with hand-clap beat, anthemic chorus.
5. 5:01 FCC? Printed lyrics say “frickin beautiful”… **gloopy noises, then minimalist dubby riddim, rather odd love song.
6. 3:56 ***somewhere between 50’s rock and roll and the classic Franti chant, another love song.
7. 4:13 **longish intro, then very sweet bouncy uptempo skank, almost calypso, gentle – another love song. Three love songs with completely different moods.
8. 4:12 ****female dancehall intro, forceful downtempo drums and chants, builds. Oddly, reminds me of Tom Tom Club. Grows on you…
9. 4:09 *folky acoustic, pretty, sad.
10. 4:38 ****half arena rock and half dubby skank, political diatribe. Classic Franti – and when he’s on, his lyrics kill.
11. 4:02 *relaxed slinky disco groove, breathy lyrics, feat. Zap Mama.
12. 3:53 *acoustic guitar, downtempo and relaxed.
13. 3:54 *very low key relaxed sway, quiet and breathy.