|Mahanthappa, Rudresh / Kinsmen|
|Add Date:||2008-11-23||Pull Date:||2009-01-25||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||25 Jan||18 Jan||11 Jan||4 Jan||14 Dec||30 Nov|
|1.||Jul 18, 2021:||No Cover, No Minimum: Monday Edition (rebroadcast from Jul 2, 2018) |
|4.||Mar 27, 2015:||Rebop |
|2.||Jul 02, 2018:||No Cover, No Minimum: Monday Edition |
|5.||Mar 04, 2011:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|3.||Jul 01, 2017:||No Cover, No Minimum: Saturday Edition |
|6.||Dec 04, 2009:||No Cover, No Minimum |
RUDRESH MAHANTHAPPA: Kinsmen |
INDIAN JAZZ – One of the most exciting jazz saxophonists on the scene teams up with Kadri Golpanath, a trailblazer in bringing the sax to Carnatic (South Indian classical) music, and other musicians interested in bridging these two worlds (guitarist Rez Abbasi stands out). This is much more than just picking up tonal ideas or beats from India: the band has dug deep into raga forms and rhythmic cycles, and fully integrated them with cutting-edge modern jazz concepts for a true cohesion. It’s excellent work.
All very fine. Fo’s Picks: 2, 5, 7, 8, 10
1. 2:16 – slow duet: meditative guitar chords, bright saxophone scribbles
2. 10:50 – wow…Indian melodies weave around funky stomp; sax solos follow complex beats, slinky guitar, chattery violin emulates vocal patterns
3. 1:42 – solo guitar interlude
4. 11:21 – moody modern jazz ballad, Indian elements come in gradually, becomes a low walk under a series of fluttery solos
5. 6:22 – lively, traditional sound, weaves menacingly, then fast soloing. Eek!
6. 1:43 – solo bass interlude
7. 12:50 – relaxed tempo, complex layered melody; delicate string interplay, peaceful backing for percolating saxes, thoughtful violin & bass
8. 4:08 – Kadri Golpanath solo sax over distant drone; has a lot to say
9. 2:37 – Solo violin, picks up right after KG (8&9 can be played together)
10. 15:28 – steady, determined feel, with overlapping rhythms and very cool ensemble play; bouncy sax solo, bright guitar, firm violin, nifty sax dialogue… bass & drums are just great throughout the tune.
[ Fo ] 23-Nov-08