|Curumin / Japan Pop Show|
|Album:||Japan Pop Show||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2008-10-19||Pull Date:||2008-12-21||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||21 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec||23 Nov||9 Nov||2 Nov||26 Oct|
|1.||Tue, 29 Jan 19:||Yamster & Waterboy|
|4.||Sat, 31 Aug 13:||Eme O|
|2.||Sat, 29 Jul 17:||Eme O|
|5.||Sat, 20 Jul 13:||Eme O|
|3.||Tue, 10 Sep 13:||Megha Makam|
|6.||Sat, 22 Sep 12:||ETN|
Curumin – Japan Pop Show|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/15/08
Brazilian genre-crossing – funk/lounge/hip hop/samba/dub… Curumin was a child prodigy with a love of every kind of music, and his mashups of styles are a bit hard to describe but very, very catchy.
No FCCs detected. I like 1, 7, 10 and 13 best.
1. ****starts with a few seconds of vinyl hiss, then a downtempo reggae skank with surf guitar and chanting in Brazilian Portuguese. A bit of dub with “Jamaican” talking.
2. ***funky downbeat skank with acoustic guitar, sweet Brazilian singing.
3. ***upbeat midtempo funk w/ drums up front, a bit of hip hop and bit of samba percussion, hip hop vocals in Brazilian & English.
4. **downbeat, relaxed percussion, swingy groove w/ jazzy overtones.
5. ***music box, trumpet and jazzy chorus for first minute, heavy funk hip hop for second half. Huh!
6. **rock intro, then downbeat swingy groove with pretty Brazilian singing. Hints of surf guitar and farfisa.
7. ****midtempo cobbled dance groove – almost Baila Funk. Very fun and funky!
8. **short downtempo soul funk w/ quirky bits of vocals.
9. *pretty, slow trance/lounge with acoustic guitar, burbly electronics and sweet singing in Brazilian Portuguese.
10. ****totally groovy downtempo funk swing w/ great slide bass.
11. ***uptempo bouncy samba w/ farfisa and electronics. Quirky, with a slight hint of mojito.
12. ***uber-groovy slow samba funk with odd bits of electronics and bits of retro lounge.
13. ****downtempo funky something, great bass and odds and ends of sounds.