|Various Artists / Nublu Sound|
|Add Date:||2008-11-02||Pull Date:||2009-01-04||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||4 Jan||28 Dec||21 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec||30 Nov||23 Nov||16 Nov|
|1.||Sat, 29 Jul 17:||Eme O|
|4.||Thu, 12 Aug 10:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
|2.||Wed, 05 Oct 11:||Sunshine|
|5.||Sat, 13 Feb 10:||Eme O|
|3.||Wed, 08 Sep 10:||Sunshine|
Sunshine's Morning Glory (sittin' in for Bobbi's Public Noize Racket and SportsN
|6.||Mon, 08 Feb 10:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/23/08
Electronica comp with lots of world-y aspects, a bit of reggae, some jazz… Culled from regulars at an NY nightclub which obviously favors Brazil/Caribbean/Turkish elements. Lots of the artists are quite familiar to us – Forro in the Dark, Brazilian Girls, Love Trio & U-Roy, Wax Poetic…
No FCCs detected. All quality stuff – I like 4, 6, 9, 12, and esp. 11.
1. 5:49 *drones for a few seconds, then uptempo jungle beat with fuzzy electronics. Instrumental.
2. 4:25 **uptempo bouncy island bop with lyrics about reggae. Funny stuff.
3. 3:38 *theremin-ish intro, then uptempo skank, relaxed and pretty, with breathy (and off-key) female vocals in Brazilian Portuguese.
4. 4:49 ***minimalist bass-driven shuffle, female vocals in Turkish, distant cuica. Rather soft sound overall, but groovy – jazzy sax solo midway.
5. 3:40 **blatty club-style electronics, downtempo and danceable, female vocals.
6. 4:48 ***very downtempo bassy skank, toast by U-Roy (which is GOOD.)
7. 3:46 **long intro, slow skank with electronics and hint of acoustic guitar, female vocals. Gets loud and electric for a bit.
8. 4:03 **dramatic intro, then midtempo glitchy groove, female jazzy vocals. Long, disjointed ending.
9. 3:28 ***relaxed syncopated groove with handclaps, rootsy male vocals, Brazilian, I think.
10. 5:24 **boops and minimalist funky strut, snippets of vocals in Turkish.
11. 4:21 ****funky midtempo beat eases in, turns into a party with boops and squeeps – just plain fun!
12. 6:51 *** ethereal electronics, bass and sax and sound collage. Jazzy and strange.