|Kingman & Jonah / Sign Time|
|Artist:||Kingman & Jonah||Added:||10/2008|
|Label:||Sun King Records|
|Add Date:||2008-11-02||Pull Date:||2009-01-04||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||21 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec||30 Nov||23 Nov||16 Nov||9 Nov|
|1.||Mon, 14 Jul 14:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Thu, 08 Jan 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|2.||Thu, 26 Feb 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Sat, 20 Dec 08:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|3.||Thu, 15 Jan 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|6.||Thu, 11 Dec 08:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Kingman & Jonah – Sign Time|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/27/08
Roots rock reggae from a little known vocalist who’s been inactive for 30 years and rediscovered, with a fine all-star Jamaican band. The promo material makes it sound like the second coming of at least Bob Marley, if not Jesus – it isn’t, but it’s good-sounding and very sincere. Kingman does indeed have an interesting hoarse voice reminiscent of early Spear and the late, much lamented Joe Hill of Culture. You can do lots worse.
No FCCs detected; I like 1, 3, 8, 11, 13 best.
1. 3:51 ***midtempo, relaxed roots skank, righteousness lyrics. Dubby bits.
2. 3:57 **folky, acoustic, mellow downtempo with a nyahbinghi beat. Sad duet – I’m afraid the other voice isn’t as interesting, although pleasant.
3. 4:26 ***relaxed midtempo skank w/ vocal harmonies, armagiddeon lyrics.
4. 4:01 **mellow midtempo bubble, very pleasant, vocal harmonies. Little scrinky bits of psychedelia.
5. 3:44 *somber keyboard and acoustic guitar, impassioned vocals mourning the effects of our dirty little war.
6. 3:21 **sweet midtempo acoustic bubble – much too jaunty sounding for the seriousness of the lyrics.
7. 3:25 **downtempo skank with horn section, sweet religious lyrics. Dub for last minute.
8. 3:16 ***midtempo bouncy skank, again quite jaunty riddim for the subject – armagiddeon time. Enjoyable sound.
9. 4:03 **slow bubble, another lament about the war in the Middle East.
10. 3:00 *very subdued solo acoustic guitar, cover. No surprises, but plenty of sincerity.
11. 3:02 ***downtempo bouncy shuffle with prominent bass, vocal harmonies, interesting lyrics.
12. 1:48 *solo acoustic guitar, religious lyrics.
13. 2:43 ***uptempo and upbeat skank with interesting guitar sound. Fun.
|1.||Draw My Sword||7.||So Wrapped Up|
|2.||Lonely Nights||8.||Star Wars|
|3.||Sign Time||9.||World War Iii|
|4.||Windows Of My Mind||10.||Amazing Grace|
|6.||In The Street||12.||I Need You|