|New Duncan Imperials, The / End Of Phase One|
|Album:||End Of Phase One||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||New Duncan Imperials, The||Added:||10/2008|
|Add Date:||2008-11-23||Pull Date:||2009-01-25|
|Week Ending:||18 Jan||4 Jan||28 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec||30 Nov|
|1.||Thu, 15 Jan 09:||Gears|
|4.||Tue, 23 Dec 08:||Clipboard willie|
What the fush?
|2.||Wed, 14 Jan 09:||Red West|
Hand Wash in Coleslaw
|5.||Wed, 10 Dec 08:||Your Imaginary Friend|
|3.||Sat, 03 Jan 09:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|6.||Wed, 03 Dec 08:||DJ Sonnika|
The Sonic Bubble
New Duncan Imperials – End of Phase One|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/16/08
American garage rock with simple yet odd lyrics. Eight years since their last record and 20 years since Tilt-a-Whirl (god! Time! Flies!) they’re just as basic and teenaged yet… I don’t know. They’re kinda funny and they’re not. They do dip into many of the finest forms of straightforward Americana musically, but I think it’s best to just accept that their lyrics are what they are and not think about it too much…
Single FCC on track 9, which naturally is my favorite…
1. 3:18 **power chords and adenoidal anthem to teen age rock ‘n’ roll (or something – anthem-y, anyway!)
2. 2:39 ***bluesy swagger with lots of bop.
3. 4:05 **simple guitar and drums, amusing lyrics. Gets more loudness, and maybe a mandolin.
4. 3:02 *subdued intro, swingy, kinda lounge-y smooth groove, all about having, indeed, nothing to do.
5. 3:56 ***groovy (but a bit laid-back) garage rock, psychedelic lyrics (if not music), wah-wah solo.
6. 2:11 **Ramones-oid music, toe-gaze lyrics. Makes no sense, really, but what the hell!
7. 3:20 **pretty acoustic folky-mellow stuff, pissy lyrics with a ring of truth, pedal steel for a bit of moodiness.
8. 2:36 ***heavy garage rock with lots of bombast. I guess this one is about paranoia…
9. 2:23 FCC: “shitty” ****fast garage rock – this one’s gotta be at least semi-autobiographical!
10. 3:36 **honky-tonk waltz with pedal steel and reflective lyrics.
11. 2:02 ***hyperspeed 4/4 romp with hyperspeed vocals.
12. 2:35 **big heavy intro, sweet 80’s-style vocals with rather goofy and pointless lyrics.