One sheet says “Imagine a Guitar Hero showdown between Don Caballero, Hella and… Van Halen”. Sometimes the one-sheets are good for something. Woman guitar “hero” and vocalist from New York definitely with something to prove. Mathy, urgent, almost a Japanese Ruins spastic’ness, but then a poppy vocal hook comes along and a distinctly math rock beat takes over. This stuff is all over the map in a certain sense but it retains a fast paced urgency even in the “slow” songs. Her vocals are tastefully layered and its all well recorded and played to a technical “T”. Great stuff. One sheet mentions how she had to endure the onslaught of The Strokes and Yeah Yeah Yeahs (whatever happened to those losers? Wait, like I give a shit now any more than I did then) in the early part of this decade to finally get an audience. Worth the wait. Cream rises. Shit sinks eventually.
1) simple if urgent beat with voice for first half then launches into great rocking swirling mess
2) urgent rocking as fuck!
3) starts urgent then shifts into a swaying gallop with female vocs
4) almost poppy in the heavy vocals
5) fast but melodic, hooky
6) fast and near proggy rock with some wanky guitar hook (Ragnar, get it up!)
7) mid paced, a bit more accessible and musical
8) good slammin rock and fucking roll
9) goddamn if some of the breakes remind me of old Emerson Lake and Palmer or something, this is some epic prog/math/crazy rock
10) off kilter and slightly halting
11) a triplet/waltz beat turns into chaos then into something 7/8 or the like, then back, good stuff!
12) halting, timing changes, this woman has a signature sound and must be amazing live