|Mean Deep / Mean Deep|
|Add Date:||2008-11-30||Pull Date:||2009-02-01|
|Week Ending:||1 Feb||25 Jan||18 Jan||11 Jan||4 Jan||21 Dec||7 Dec|
|1.||Jan 31, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Old School Shree
|4.||Jan 10, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Jan 24, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Goodabbad (Les Ecolos)
|5.||Jan 03, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Old School Shree
|3.||Jan 14, 2009:||Hand Wash in Coleslaw |
|6.||Dec 20, 2008:||New World Disorder |
Chocolate & Vanilla
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/21/08
Electronica/Indian/etc mashup – but probably not like what you’re thinking. First outing from a pair of guys (Shri Deepayan and James Whetzel), and tending towards the rave rather than trance end of club. Lots of energy and beat with layers of musical ideas from all over, although India is the strongest identifiable element. Most of the vocals are a bit goofy, but the music is killer.
No FCCs detected. I like 1, 3, 5, 7.
1. ***flutes, then midtempo groovy beat with bongos and hints of sitar and mystical vibe. Not at all what the title conjures up for me, but hey!
2. *starts by sounding a bit like lame unplugged hip hop, but adds interesting squeeps and percussion. Music is swingy and good.
3. ***sitar and jangly electronics. Cool noise!
4. **bass sounds bouncing channels, midtempo groove with slight Latin hints and fiddle, bits of undecipherable vocals.
5. ***growly boinky electronics, uptempo with a sense of fun, in praise of candy. Not much India here, but maybe a bit of Pinkertones.
6. **downtempo, deeply warped. Sort of the march of the large lopsided robots on opium.
7. ***even more warped! Sproings and sprats and female hip hop vocals in French. Slight false ending.
|1.||Gotham City||4.||Lindjo Remix|
|2.||Gotta Scene||5.||Chocolate & Vanilla|
|3.||Old School Shree||6.||Minuit|
|7.||Goodabbad (Les Ecolos)|