|John Brown's Body / Amplify|
|Artist:||John Brown's Body||Added:||12/2008|
|Label:||Easy Star Records|
|Add Date:||2008-12-07||Pull Date:||2009-02-08||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||8 Feb||1 Feb||25 Jan||18 Jan||4 Jan||28 Dec||21 Dec||14 Dec|
|1.||Feb 07, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Give Yourself Over
|4.||Jan 18, 2009:||The Twilight Zone |
Make Your Move
|2.||Jan 31, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Jan 17, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Jan 24, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Jan 15, 2009:||Happy Hour |
John Brown’s Body – Amplify|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 12/5/08
“Progressive Reggae”, possibly an oxymoronic concept… I may have been the wrong person to review this, because I kept getting “Yes moments” when I listened, and I get hives when I get “Yes moments”… In spite of this, it’s a very good record, certainly fine musicianship and lots of interesting sounds and rhythms.
No FCCs detected. I like 8 best, everything with 3*s is good stuff.
1. **dramatic intro, then very uptempo syncopated skank, vocals have a bit of dancehall.
2. ***tuning instruments intro, then downtempo skank, strong one-drop.
3. ***big horns and melodrama, midtempo bubble with rather cinematic sounding backing vocals. Modulates in fairly unusual ways.
4. ***very slow roots skank, righteousness lyrics, trumpet solo. Includes a dub with Rasta outsider visionary toast (from St. Croix’ Midnite).
5. ***uptempo bouncy boppy wiggle, stadium-rock lyrics.
6. **dubified intro, complex uptempo riddim. Has a bit of Steel Pulse feel. Some “hip hop” vocals.
7. *downtempo with 16th notes, nice vocal rhythm at start, gets a bit trippy-spacey. Ends with a bit of nyahbinghi.
8. ****spacey noises, then downtempo beat and scratching, bouncy midtempo dancehall with rhythmic vocals.
9. **very slow, lots of “prog”, a bit of vocal processing, but pleasant enough.
10. **starts with kora solo, then uptempo, rather urgent sounding skank, love song. Big strings. Sounds like a George Martin production.
11. ***similar riddim, but big horns, somewhat complicated syncopation. Some interesting interplay of vocals.
12. ***somewhat downtempo nyahbinghi riddim, vocal harmonies. Hymn-like, very pretty. Ends a few seconds early.
|2.||Give Yourself Over||8.||Make Your Move|
|3.||The Gold||9.||Ghost Notes|
|4.||Speak Of The Devil (Feat. Vaughn Benjamin Of Midnite)||10.||So Aware|
|5.||Push Some Air||11.||Zion Triad|
|6.||Shake The Dice||12.||Be At Peace|