|S.I.M.O. / Bridging The Void|
|Album:||Bridging The Void||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2009-01-11||Pull Date:||2009-03-15||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||8 Mar||1 Mar||22 Feb||8 Feb||1 Feb||25 Jan||18 Jan|
|1.||Mar 07, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Feb 07, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Feb 28, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Jan 31, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Punks Of Funk
|3.||Feb 18, 2009:||The Heart of KZSU |
|6.||Jan 24, 2009:||New World Disorder |
S.I.M.O. - Bridging the Void|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 12/27/08
Funky club/dub/ragga/skank with tons of techno blats and glitch – from San Francisco. The frog on the back cover seems to be inspiration for some of the electronics. It’s so farty that it gave me a headache listening to it all the way through (but I think I was working on a headache – it’s just after Xmas, after all...) Crazy stuff!
FCC on track 9, which is a damn shame (but true to the original.)
I like 7 best – and 9, despite its very clear FCC…
1. 4:04 ***downtempo relaxed funky drumbeat and frogs. Electronic boops and talking in Jamaican accent.
2. 4:30 **downtempo with lots of electronic sounds and talking. Almost a Kwaito beat.
3. 4:14 *upbeat club beat, whispered speaking with British accent.
4. 4:44 ***slow cobbled beat, electronic throbs, variety of voices male and female. Shout out to SF. Warning – we are EXTREMELY stoned on this bus.
5. 4:53 **fast club beat with springy electronics. Instrumental (basically) – adds stuff and gets much more interesting.
6. 3:13 ***midtempo fractured and cobbled beat with lots of knob-turning. Instrumental.
7. 6:02 ****fast club beat with lots of percussion – fun sound. Warning – when you say “funk” with a lot of muffling and distortion, guess what it sounds just like?
8. 4:50 ***downtempo fractured skank with boops and deep male speaking. Ends with incongruous moment of electric guitar.
9. 4:55 FCC: “shit” (not to mention “is she trying to get out of that clitoris?”) ****midtempo sashay with half-whispered cover of the Stranglers classic – it’s odd, but nice ‘n’ sleazy, which is the point, after all.
10. 4:40 **midtempo club skank with hums and blats, and occasional calls for marijuana.
11. 3:34 ***bit of George Bush (ick!), slow skank ‘n’ blat with bluesy hints.
|2.||Devon Clotted Skank||7.||Punks Of Funk|
|3.||Got The Squad||8.||Step Into|