|Molloy Family, The / Molloy Family Album (Live At Home), The|
|Album:||Molloy Family Album (Live At Home), The||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Molloy Family, The||Added:||12/2008|
|Add Date:||2009-01-11||Pull Date:||2009-03-15|
|Week Ending:||1 Mar||15 Feb|
|1.||Feb 24, 2009:||Reelin' in the Years |
|2.||Feb 11, 2009:||Hand Wash in Coleslaw |
We Are Cinders
LOCAL folk/'baroque' pop-folk stuff from SF. http://www.myspace.com/themolloyfamilyalbum|
Like Matt Pond PA on cough syrup.
Common theme to all of the music (lest I repeat it 5 times): Psuedo-yearning male vocals, very soft female backing vocals. All songs recorded without overdubs, in a spacious-sounding environment. There's simply no variety here; if you like any of the songs, you'll like all of them. Period. If anything I would listen to this disc as a whole and consider the track markings to be like subtle pauses in the performance.
1. steel guitar, banjo. male and female vox. plods along at a slow pace.
2. wet Rhodes sounds like a vibraphone. The song builds up around 6 minutes in, then disperses. Ends at 6:32, extra silence at end.
3. far away violin, up close lap steel. yearning yet calming. ends at -0:04.
4. same as above songs. touches of melodica.
5. longest track (6:56), more Rhodes, possibly the most upbeat, or rather, least saddening track on the disc, narrowly edging out #1.
REC: All or none, really.
RIYL: Matt Pond PA
|1.||We Are Cinders||3.||Apparitions|
|2.||White Blossoms||4.||Can't Save Anyone|