|Douglas / Douglas|
|Label:||(No Label Information)|
|Add Date:||2011-04-03||Pull Date:||2011-06-05|
|Week Ending:||17 Apr||10 Apr|
|1.||Mon, 11 Apr 11:||Moose|
|2.||Thu, 07 Apr 11:||Andy S|
The group Douglas is mainly rhythm guitarist Jeff Bates and singer Lindsay Ferguson. Lead guitar and drums complete the core group; they’re augmented on just a few songs by banjo, ukelele, keyboards, and a horn section. |
This set of short, fast-paced ditties covers a variety of styles: 60s, 80s, country, etc. The songs are sweet, goofy, and pop, but they're also refreshing, authentic, and fun. This should remind you that kids used to dance to rock music.
The title of this album is "Yankee Bluegrass"
No FCC issues. Be Sharp’s Picks: Strong throughout. I liked 1, 4, 5, 6, 8 best.
1. * Drivin’ home to see mama. So stereotypically southern, maybe it’s parody, but it’s obviously done with much love. Singer affects a strong country twang. Guitar is strictly rhythm; harmonica solo a delicious mouthful of notes. I was grinnin’ from ear to ear. (2:06)
2. Fast, driven guitar & drums. Strong, punchy vocal, hints of Gwen Stefani perhaps. (2:57)
3. Hollow-body starts it out jazzy, but then it shifts into a crunch rock. (3:17)
4. * Electric-acoustic sets a mid-temp swing. Singer sashays through with a sexy tease. It’s her best vocal performance. Jeff gives a nice bluesy harmonica solo too. (5:28)
5. * A nod to Motown girl groups. This one’s got a horn section. Her cute la-dee-das on the way out will have you tapping your foot. (3:57)
6. * Tribute to the Go Gos. The style, sound, even subject-matter recall their big hit. (3:39)
7. Starts a bit goofy, a bit country, then enter harp, uke, banjo & kazoo. What a hoot! (2:34)
8. * Another 80s girl-group thing (like Bananarama & Go Gos), this one propelled by strong guitars and drums. This is so 80s, you could pogo to it. (3:00)
9. A fast rocker. Good guitar & harp solos. Fun vocal in a vampy, Betty Boop style. (2:34)
10. The singer slurs, creating a sonic effect, rather than words to a song. Guitar recalls 60s English blues-rock (Animals, Yardbirds, Zombies). Strong but not a highlight. (4:10)
|2.||Uninspired||7.||In Your Arms|
|3.||The Girl Who Has Everything||8.||Everyone But Me|
|4.||Ain't It A Shame||9.||French Women Have The Best Perfume|
|5.||I'll Be There||10.||How Could I Love Another|