|Cline, Alex / Continuation|
|Add Date:||2009-03-01|| ||Pull Date:||2009-05-03|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||3 May||26 Apr||19 Apr||12 Apr||5 Apr||22 Mar||8 Mar|
ALEX CLINE: Continuation |
AVANT/WORLD-JAZZ – Percussionist Cline leads an unusual quintet with strings and piano through adventurous, complex compositions with lots of space for improvising. There’s a definite Asian flavor to most of the melodies, with 1+7 being almost entirely melodic and the sprawling 5+6 going farthest afield. 2+4 are oblique modern jazz. It’s captivating from start to finish, the product of groundbreaking vision.
* * * * | All great, but 5 & 6 are long and rambling
1. 10:04 – slow, tranquil, beautiful: melody makes the rounds, surges & falls
2. 7:34 – solo bass, then a moody jazz pulse builds up; elusive harmony
3. 4:54 – very slow & atmospheric: loud clattery noises over simple piano line
4. 11:15 – heavy, Asian-tinged modern jazz: great drums, 2nd half goes “out”
5. 18:25 – alternates gradually between quiet, mysterious soundscapes, sad string melody, crashing & clattering percussion, bells & harmonium
6. 18:38 – long suite, many abrupt changes: calm abstraction, aggressive avant-bop, edgy strings, sweet melodies, ponderous drums, etc.
7. 5:59 – starts sparse, picks up a slow melody; pretty, but kind of gloomy too
[ Fo ] 03/01/09