Folksy with elements of blues. Great line-up of instruments including guitars/pedal steel/dobro/fiddle/harmonica. Great lyrics with a vocal style and sound similar to maybe Jakob Dylan. There is some GREAT stuff here. All are worth a listen. My favorites are 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11. FCC’s #8 ‘bullshit’ twice; #10 ‘fucking’.
1. (4:23) Slow/Mid. Relaxed and bright instrumentation behind some tough but hopeful lyrics. Nice mandolin and guitar.
2. (4:15) Slow. Introspective lyrics featuring pedal steel. Very sparse and airy instrumentation.
3. (6:29) Mid. Up-front acoustic guitar with some great electric guitar solos. Nod to Dylan (?) with ‘cuckoo she’s a pretty bird/she warbles as she flies…’. Some great lyric passages.
4. (4:33) Slow. Very soft and slow. Guitars and organ predominant. Dreamy lyrics and instrumentation. Fades out.
5. (3:52) Mid/Fast. Folksy, reminiscent of early Dylan with harmonica and nasally vocal delivery. Good stuff.
6. (3:24) Slow. Dark vocal, very airy with the pedal steel, minimal and ominous.
7. (3:33) Mid. Vocal and banjo. Devastating lyrics like ‘devil he took the good from me’. Harkens back to early blues.
8. (3:21) Slow/Mid. Yearning lyrics paired well with the dobro/pedal steel and slow strumming guitar. Lots of space. Really nice. FCC ‘bullshit’ twice.
9. (4:24) Slow/Mid. Nice little tune, guitar dominates. Good acoustic soloing. Slow vocal delivery.
10.(3:17) Mid. Banjo and fiddle story-song about a man killing his family. Yodeling ensues amidst the macabre scene. FCC ‘fucking’. Fucking GREAT tune.
11.(1:57) Mid/Fast. Great guitar strumming tune set inside moral message lyrics. Fiddle fleshes out this up-tempo number. Another GREAT tune.
12.(3:31) Slow. Minimal instrumentation with lots of stretched-out lyrics.