|Bishop Allen / Grrr....|
|Add Date:||2009-04-05||Pull Date:||2009-06-07|
|Week Ending:||7 Jun||31 May||24 May||17 May||10 May||3 May||26 Apr||19 Apr|
|1.||Fri, 17 Mar 17:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
|4.||Fri, 17 Apr 15:||Francis D|
|2.||Fri, 21 Aug 15:||Francis D|
|5.||Fri, 13 Mar 15:||Francis D|
Time Traveler (Eye-Opener)
|3.||Fri, 10 Jul 15:||Francis D|
|6.||Fri, 09 May 14:||Francis D|
Bishop Allen is an Indie pop/rock band that features songs with catchy tunes, intelligent yet simple lyrics, and traditional instrumentation (with xylophone and glockenspiel mixed in for fun). Grrr… is the group’s 3rd full-length release and it takes the band more in the direction of its original Charm School CD than 2007’s The Broken String. Most of the songs on the new CD are, well, charming — with a couple bordering on cutesy. But there are plenty of songs with clever lyrics, strong lead male vocals, and interesting arrangements to choose from.|
FCC clean. Recommended: 4, 6, 7, 8, 11
1. (2:46) Simple, almost syrupy sweet. Includes the phrase “olly olly oxen free”.
2. (3:03) Opens with syncopated beat using guitar and glockenspiel. Plaintive vocals about a breakup.
3. (3:05) Slower, breathy vocals open — out of character and not one of the best on the CD.
4. (2:45) ** Nice interplay between lyrics and musical arrangement.
5. (3:07) Predictable rhymes and simple melody. Still, it’s catchy with nice “oh ohs” in chorus.
6. (3:15) **** Almost a clocktrack rhythm carries this bright tune along. One of the strongest.
7. (2:40) *** Pleasant tune. Opens with wobbly brass band. Then, lots of rhythm elements are added. Female lead vocals.
8. (2:58) *** High energy. Strumming guitar sets galloping pace.
9. (2:35) Starts where previous track leaves off. Backup singers shouting “Shanghaied!”
10. (2:29) Slower tune, personal lyrics. Different lead vocalist?
11. (2:40) ** Another high energy song with BA’s trademark lyrics and melody, simply arranged.
12. (1:46) What is this doing on the CD? Starts with spoken lines about a high school ring. Not their best.
13. (3:03) Dreamy guitar at start. Then moves to moderate pace. Something about slouchers and snails vs. tigers.
|1.||Dimmer||7.||True Or False|
|2.||The Lion And The Teacup||8.||Rooftop Brawl|
|3.||South China Moon||9.||Shanghaied|
|4.||Dirt On Your New Shoes||10.||Don't Hide Away|
|5.||Oklahoma||11.||Cue The Elephants|
|6.||The Ancient Commonsense Of Things||12.||The Magpie|