|Mexican Institute Of Sound (M.I.S.) / Soy Sauce|
|Artist:||Mexican Institute Of Sound (M.I.S.)||Added:||04/2009|
|Add Date:||2009-05-03||Pull Date:||2009-07-05|
|Week Ending:||5 Jul||28 Jun||21 Jun||14 Jun||7 Jun||31 May||24 May||17 May|
|1.||Thu, 19 May 16:||aandreaa|
|4.||Sat, 19 Dec 09:||Sadie O.|
Best Disorders of 2009
|2.||Sat, 04 Oct 14:||Eme O|
|5.||Sat, 04 Jul 09:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|3.||Sun, 25 Aug 13:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|6.||Wed, 01 Jul 09:||Sunshine|
Getting Over the Hump!
M.I.S. – Soy Sauce|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 4/23/09
Mexican music, old all mashed up into new. The latest from mixmaster Camilo Lara, with cumbias, dance/funk, beats ‘n’ blats, and anything else that seems sonically appealing at the time… Interesting stuff and a lot of fun – Lara clearly has a sense of humor as well as history. Goes real well with the latest from Kinky.
Marginal FCC in Spanish on track 2. I like 2 and 11 best.
1. 2:17 ***starts out straight-up cumbia, then blends in a funky dance beat. Good fit!
2. 3:40 FCC? “cabron” ****goofy bouncy boopy groove, slinky spoken vocals in Spanish. Has a bit of minor key spy movie riffing, too.
3. 5:11 **female spoken bit, then farty electronics and spoken vocals. Disco, baby! Fun, bouncy.
4. 3:23 ***slow minimalist beat, accordion. Three-legged cumbia. Female singing in English.
5. 2:51 ***uptempo rockin’ ho-down. Yee-haw! Vocals remind me a bit of Kinky. Deranged guitar solo.
6. 2:02 **slow, unctuous (almost slimy) lounge pick-up number. Crickets. Also howler monkeys and cows.
7. 2:57 ***uptempo syncopated hip wiggler. Male and female dialog and frug.
8. 0:46 *electronic squeeps and shuffle, slinky – quite pretty, actually.
9. 3:08 **farts’n’blats, midtempo funky groove, muffled female speaking. Truly horrible synth solo.
10. 3:35 **midtempo groovy rock with blats and acoustic guitar. Hip, baby, dig it.
11. 3:31 ****three-legged cumbia, a bit roots and a bit club. Gets quite complex and fun.
12. 4:12 *mellow acoustic guitars and “strings”, rough vocals.
13. 4:56 **vocal beats intro,bit of hip hop vocals, then midtempo fragmented electronic beat. Vocals from track 2, but more minimalist mix. Goes a bit swingy midway through. Ends with several seconds of faint crickets.
14. 1:25 ***beatboxing and mellow lounge-y humming. Pretty, but weird.
|1.||Cumbia||8.||Comite Culificador Part 1|
|2.||Alocatel||9.||Comite Culificador Part 2|
|3.||Yo Digo Baila||10.||Karate Kid 2|
|5.||Hiedra Venenosa||12.||Sinfonia Agridulce|
|6.||Te Quiero Mucho||13.||Alocatel (Ad Rock Remix)|