|Great Northern / Remind Me Where The Light Is|
|Album:||Remind Me Where The Light Is||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Great Northern||Added:||Apr 2009|
|Label:||Eenie Meenie Records|
|Add Date:||2009-06-28||Pull Date:||2009-08-30|
|Week Ending:||Aug 30||Aug 23||Aug 16||Aug 9||Aug 2||Jul 26||Jul 19||Jul 12|
|1.||Sep 03, 2010:||Quasi Music Therapy - 2nd to Last Show |
|4.||Aug 30, 2009:||Quasi Music Therapy |
|2.||Sep 03, 2010:||Quasi Music Therapy |
|5.||Aug 29, 2009:||Music Casserole |
|3.||Apr 22, 2010:||The Spork |
|6.||Aug 28, 2009:||Time Traveler |
Indie rockers visit the darkness to see the light in their 2nd album. Female & male vox, keyboards, rough electric guitar, blissful dreamy vocals. Their songs tread the tenuous ground where heartwarming meets heartbreaking, unfolding as if the boy-girl vocalists were revisiting crumpled old love letters. Over fuzzed and speeding electric guitar, Rachel takes the lead with her warm and commanding vocals, slinging captivating lyrics like "up ahead I see it / I can't find it but I feel alive" and "All this time when I talk it's not real." "We dug deeper into the unpleasant, which helped us to find the beauty." lyrically and melodically, where melancholy becomes determination, and atmospherics are replaced with driving rhythms. Music that moves. Simple as that.|
1. ** Clearly audible lyrics is a plus. Good melodies and catchy chorus.
2. *** On "Houses," the aggressive, thrashing drumbeat gives the melody a visceral quality
3. * showcase vibrato vocal with very little background instrumentation
4. ** Booming drum, chick vox intros then explodes. Annoying background whistle
5. * slow Male vox over solo piano "I hope you notice, I'm not the one"
6. * go nowhere slow blah boo no.
7. ** Powerful strings over electric guitar, drums, and female vocal.
8.** Sunday Bloody Sunday drumbeat. Female vocals, more dreamy.
9.* Male lyrics create a vivid image of one desperate to be the object of another’s affection
a lone keyboard builds to a fuller mournful melody with nostalgic, almost theatrical strings
10. *** pumping drums with a big sound. I like the sound of this track
11. ** Obligatory "wrap-up" acoustic guitar / vox building to crescendo