Commander Cody – Dopers, Drunks, etc.
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/31/09
High octane roadhouse rockin’ songs about precisely what the title says, which is the Commander’s favorite material. The Commander’s been doing what they’ve come to call “Americana” since the early days of the Fillmore, and he’s ridiculously good at it. He used to do shows at a little bar in San Rafael that were the wildest things I’ve ever seen (and that’s including every punk rock show in SF from 76-80, too) – looking back, I can’t believe I never got a DUI on the way home… Crazy, wild stuff – and perfect rock and roll. This makes me VERY happy (and Bill will be glad we’ve got all these drug songs…)
No FCCs, but lots of sex and drugs and rock and roll. All GREAT.
1. 3:51 ***hard-driving roadhouse country swing with slide guitar and lots of rock ‘n’ roll piano, philosophizin’ about joints.
2. 3:27 **rock ‘n’ roll with chugging guitar and a bit of farfisa. Slice o’ life drama straight from the road.
3. 2:46 ***midtempo two-step with slide and pedal steel – absolutely classic country drinking song.
4. 3:28 **high energy hard rock, gruff vocals, innuendo. Funny stuff!
5. 2:18 **fast two-step, fine cover of a classic trucking-and-pill-poppin’ toon.
6. 3:32 ***uptempo bopper, early 60’s style, fractured chorus.
7. 3:31 ***uptempo rock ‘n’ roll with guitar and dueling keyboards. Excellent lyrics!
8. 4:39 ****slow countrified blues – female guest vocalist on one of the Commander’s most beloved songs. A real heart-wringer!
9. 3:39 ***crazy swinging midtempo barrelhouse rock. Great lyrics, and some killer piano work.
10. 3:00 **midtempo rock ‘n’ roll – fairly relaxed for the Commander.
11. 3:14 ***downtempo chugging rock ‘n’ roll, another classic.
12. 2:26 ***uptempo boogie woogie rock ‘n’ roll piano.
13. 2:53 **old-timey shuffle bop with brushes on the drums.
14. 3:01 ****excellent downtempo old-cowboy-Mexico-style syncopated shuffle, great drug song by Hoyt Axton of all people…